Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

end; completion; conclusion; polish; something which completes or perfects
prior
transfer
move
finish
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Difficult vs problem

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
My heart bleeds for you? | Obviously a computer can take all the hard work out of processing
listening exercisestell a friend
Difficult vs problem #1 (permalink) Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:28 am   Difficult vs problem

Test No. incompl/elem-20 "Where am I?", question 3

Well, my ......... is that I'm lost.

(a) problem
(b) situation
(c) hardship
(d) difficult

Test No. incompl/elem-20 "Where am I?", answer 3

Well, my problem is that I'm lost.

Correct answer: (a) problem

Your answer was: incorrect
Well, my difficult is that I'm lost.

why this question cannot use difficult?

viviaan
viviaan

Difficult #2 (permalink) Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:38 am   Difficult

Hi Vivian,

The word you need in this sentence must be a noun. Difficult is an adjective and so you can't use it here. If you want to express another idea, you could say: My difficulty and that is the noun formed from the adjective difficult.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Difficult vs problem #3 (permalink) Wed Aug 27, 2008 18:24 pm   Difficult vs problem

Hi,

Why "situation" is not correct?

Tks,
Cuoi

Difficult vs problem #4 (permalink) Wed Aug 27, 2008 18:29 pm   Difficult vs problem

Because "situation" is rather neutral. It can refer to positive as well as negative circumstances. When you are lost, you are in trouble so you have a problem.

TOEIC short conversations: Giving a customer information about his bank accounts
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Difficult vs problem #5 (permalink) Fri Sep 12, 2008 21:18 pm   Difficult vs problem

Hi Alan
why hardship is not correct?
ali
Dr_Babaei2003

Difficult vs problem #6 (permalink) Fri Sep 12, 2008 22:29 pm   Difficult vs problem

Hi,

The speaker is lost and his problem is that he is lost. 'Hardship' refers to a long standing situation like being without money, living in poor conditions, not being able to work but in the test this is just one difficulty or one problem.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Difficult vs problem #7 (permalink) Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:44 am   Difficult vs problem

Dear Sir ,
What exactly mean by I am lost
Satishchemeng

Difficult vs problem #8 (permalink) Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:34 am   Difficult vs problem

Hello Satishchemeng, welcome to english-test.net and many thanks for your question. The phrase "I'm lost" means "I don't know what to do".
Keep up the great work!
Best regards,
Torsten

TOEIC listening, question-response: Where do we keep the cups for the water cooler?
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Difficult vs problem #9 (permalink) Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:44 am   Difficult vs problem

Dear Torsten ,
Thank you very much for the reply
Can you please give some more examples where we can use " I am Lost " , In whic type of situations we can use etc.

Regards,

Satish
Satishchemeng

Difficult vs problem #10 (permalink) Tue Jan 13, 2009 13:05 pm   Difficult vs problem

well, my problem is that I'm lost.
well, my dificult is that I'm lost.
i think first sentence is to be right according to the parts of speech because in the case we should use a noun to complete the sentence not to add or use an adjective.
Iqbalkoshan

Difficult vs problem #11 (permalink) Tue Jan 13, 2009 16:19 pm   Difficult vs problem

"(Sorry) I am lost", you can use when you don't understand a situation or can't follow a conversation.

Belles
Belles1654
You can meet me at english-test.net

Difficult vs problem #12 (permalink) Tue Jan 13, 2009 18:15 pm   Difficult vs problem

Hi,

What you need is the noun 'difficulty'.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Difficult vs problem #13 (permalink) Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:30 am   Difficult vs problem

Torsten wrote:
Hello Satishchemeng, welcome to english-test.net and many thanks for your question. The phrase "I'm lost" means "I don't know what to do".
Keep up the great work!
Best regards,
Torsten

"I'm lost" indicates that you don't know where you are, whether it is geographically ("Can you show me where XX hotel is? I'm lost."), or in a conversation, as Belles1654 suggests, or perhaps when reading through some instructions.

For "I don't know what to do", "I'm at a loss" is more suitable.
Kanjikook
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Difficult vs problem #14 (permalink) Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:20 am   Difficult vs problem

HI Mr. Alan
How are I sent to you many times but you did not reply me , I hope you reply.
Thanks
Sylla

Difficult vs problem #15 (permalink) Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:24 am   Difficult vs problem

How are Mr. Alan?
I am very happy to meet but I sent to you many messages and did not reply , may be you don't know or you are so busy. Anyway I like you response me .
Thanks

The speaker is lost and his problem is that he is lost. 'Hardship' refers to a long standing situation like being without money, living in poor conditions, not being able to work but in the test this is just one difficulty or one problem.

Alan
Sylla

My heart bleeds for you? | Obviously a computer can take all the hard work out of processing
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
That is definitely in our ballparkIn my book, that is the kind of behavior that deserves a reward.What does 'in a rut' mean?in a jiffy vs. in an instantin like a Flynnannulled vs. cancelledredundant vs. unneededExpression "Jump all over"Explanation of this dialogueTurn in vs. turn onWhen do we use much and when do we use many?Sentence: Bill straightened up the office, pretending not to listen Bob's end...Difficult vs problem, page 5