Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

occurring within a building; meant to be used inside
diligent
lucid
indoor
prime
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

example vs. illustration

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Phrase: You lot should smoke less pot! | 'there is a sufficiently number' vs 'there are a sufficient number'
listening exercisestell a friend
example vs. illustration #1 (permalink) Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:03 am   example vs. illustration

Both can be similar but I want to know the exact usage of example and illustration
by native speakers.
Skyjan

example vs. illustration #2 (permalink) Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:06 am   example vs. illustration

I use them similarly, except of course when we are speaking of a picture. Only 'example' appears in the most common example, which is 'for example'.

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
example vs. illustration #3 (permalink) Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:14 am   example vs. illustration

Hi,

I would say that 'example' is more general in meaning and 'illustration' is, if you like ,a more detailed more explicit example.

You could give an example of how a verb is used in a sentence. You could give an illustration of how someone behaves. Look at this:

A I think standards of behaviour are getting worse nowadays.

B Can you give me an example?

A Yes, the way people behave on trains.

B Can you be more specific?

A Yes, I'll give you an illustration. I was on the train this morning and no one took the trouble to offer their seat to a very old lady who was standing near the door.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

example vs. illustration #4 (permalink) Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:16 pm   example vs. illustration

Alan,

You have cleared the doubt with suitable examples.

Have a nice day :)
Rejidaniel03
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

example vs. illustration #5 (permalink) Fri Jul 03, 2009 15:53 pm   example vs. illustration

So, I hope that you did the gentlemanly thing Alan. :)

Phrase: You lot should smoke less pot! | 'there is a sufficiently number' vs 'there are a sufficient number'
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Which of the following to be clicked or ticked? (Block pop up window)Construction: One cannot have too many friends like you!Grammar usage: There is always a heavy traffic in the city centre...Job offer: But as far as opening of branches is this or that way connected...Why is the sentence finite? (He claims that he knows the answer.)Why some students unable to use grammatical structure in daily life?Test preparing: Our prices/sale/cost will rise next year.a vs the (John is the/a professor of English at ABC University.)Sentence: he never learned anything in his life that did not come of use to himSentence: I lost no time in writing to my friends.Difference between 'no more than' and 'not more than'Usage of rental: This rental agreement is made and executed on this day...Loam vs. clay