to record the proceedings of a meeting; to make a memorandum
cushion
enter
minute
check

Difference between matters and subject

Breaking glass vs. broken glass | Condition with 'should'
Difference between matters and subject #1 (permalink) Tue Aug 16, 2005 16:57 pm   Difference between matters and subject

Test No. errors/advan-7 "At the Meeting", question 3

We decided that there were no other substances to discuss and for the first time in ages we decided to close the meeting and go home early.

(a) decided
(b) substances
(c) in ages
(d) to close

Test No. errors/advan-7 "At the Meeting", answer 3

We decided that there were no other matters to discuss and for the first time in ages we decided to close the meeting and go home early.

Correct entry: matters
The error was: (b) substances

You have found the error but your entry is incorrect.
We decided that there were no other subjet to discuss and for the first time in ages we decided to close the meeting and go home early.
_________________________

Why subjet isn?t the correct word?
romina

Difference between matters and subject #2 (permalink) Tue Aug 16, 2005 21:07 pm   Difference between matters and subject

Note that the verb is plural: there were no other ..You need a plural word such as matters.
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Matters vs subjects #3 (permalink) Tue Oct 11, 2005 21:34 pm   Matters vs subjects

Can I use "subjects" instead of "matters" here?

sinbadnj

Difference between matters and subject #4 (permalink) Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:06 pm   Difference between matters and subject

Are all of these sentences correct as well?

We decided that there were no other problems to discuss and for the first time in ages we decided to close the meeting and go home early.

We decided that there were no other issues to discuss and for the first time in ages we decided to close the meeting and go home early.

We decided that there were no other subjects to discuss and for the first time in ages we decided to close the meeting and go home early.

We decided that there were no other topics to discuss and for the first time in ages we decided to close the meeting and go home early.

I wrote 'subjects' as my answer and it was not accepted.
Katarzyna

Location: Warsaw, Poland

Topic, subject, issue, matter, question, problem #5 (permalink) Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:56 am   Topic, subject, issue, matter, question, problem

Katarzyna, this is a very interesting topic, isn't it? Yes, all the synonyms you suggested can be used in that sentence and we'll add more options to the correct answer.

TOEIC listening, question-response: Shouldn't we pay before we leave?

Phrasal verb: come upIs this is a fixed phrase? Well done!Idiom: out of my handsMeet you face to faceAppearing vs. apparentlyAirlines and departuresEconomical vs. economicNeither rhyme nor reason - ShakespeareAt home vs. in the houseFuture after whenCrybaby or cry baby?Near vs. nearlyIdiom: loud and clear