Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

person who belongs to an organization or group; part; organ
locksmith
gain
manager
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Idiom: 'in the soup'

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Adverbs of frequency | Difference between speculative and speculation
listening exercisestell a friend
Idiom: 'in the soup' #1 (permalink) Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:12 am   Idiom: 'in the soup'

Test No. express/inter-3 "A piece of cake", question 5

Thanks to you we're really in the soup now and I don't honestly know why I ever listen to you.

(a) in an interesting situation
(b) in deep trouble
(c) in an unusual situation
(d) in rough water

Test No. express/inter-3 "A piece of cake", answer 5

Thanks to you we're really in deep trouble now and I don't honestly know why I ever listen to you.

Correct answer: (b) in deep trouble

Your answer was: incorrect
Thanks to you we're really in an unusual situation now and I don't honestly know why I ever listen to you.

i dont get the answer completely.
tuncay

Idiom: 'in the soup' #2 (permalink) Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:26 am   Idiom: 'in the soup'

Hi Tuncay,

This sentence means: I am not going to take any notice of what you say in future because what you have just done/said has put us in a very difficult position and it will be very difficult to get out of it.

Imagine if you like a little fly has landed in a bowl of soup - the soup is hot and thick and the fly can't escape!

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Adverbs of frequency | Difference between speculative and speculation
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Differences between accessory and partDifferences between accessory and partWhat mean does this sentence?Have you ever tried your hand at ...vs finger atMeaning of 'under my skin'Difference between 'brand' and 'sort'Idiom: 'make a monkey of somebody'Meaning of 'down-at-heel'Too sweet vs. Too softWhat does this idiom mean: "I've got you under my skin"? (Frank SinatraMeaning of 'turn into'Meaning of 'hold on'Meaning of "All the world's a stage"