Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

lucky; successful; opportune
annual
fortunate
efficient
precise
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Meaning of 'backlash'

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Shouln't it be: is going to baby-sit, or is baby-sitting, for future intentions? | meaning of "there was no changing her mind"
listening exercisestell a friend
Meaning of 'backlash' #1 (permalink) Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:22 am   Meaning of 'backlash'

Test No. incompl/advan-39 "State Secrets", question 2

Journalists however love to get hold of a story somehow but they run the risk of facing a ......... if they break the official secrects act.

(a) back whip
(b) backlash
(c) backstore
(d) back strike

Test No. incompl/advan-39 "State Secrets", answer 2

Journalists however love to get hold of a story somehow but they run the risk of facing a backlash if they break the official secrects act.

Correct answer: (b) backlash

Your answer was: incorrect
Journalists however love to get hold of a story somehow but they run the risk of facing a back strike if they break the official secrects act.

Dear Torsten,

Why we can not use back strike here, as what I understand, the sentence should tell that "the Journalists would have to face with laiding off the job", is that right?

Kelly Krueger
Kelly Krueger

Meaning of 'backlash' #2 (permalink) Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:31 am   Meaning of 'backlash'

Hi Kelly,

This word means repercussion, which is often a difficult reaction to what you have done. Lash is a whip and if you use a whip, there is a possibility that it will flip back and hit you.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of 'backlash' #3 (permalink) Thu Aug 18, 2005 13:51 pm   Meaning of 'backlash'

Back strike is not a meaningful English phrase, Kelly.

Thank you #4 (permalink) Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:57 am   Thank you

Thank you very much Alan and Mister Micawber. I understand now ^^
Kelly

What does secrects mean? #5 (permalink) Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:28 am   What does secrects mean?

kelly wrote:
Dear Tortense
Why we can not use back strike here, as what I understand, the sentence should tell that "the Journalists would have to face with laiding off the job", is that right?
andre

Meaning of 'backlash' #6 (permalink) Mon Mar 19, 2007 14:51 pm   Meaning of 'backlash'

what does "back whip" mean? Is there any idiomatic meaning of this collocation?

thanks
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Meaning of 'backlash' #7 (permalink) Mon Mar 19, 2007 23:03 pm   Meaning of 'backlash'

'Back whip' sounds no more familiar to me than 'back strike', Lost Soul.

Shouln't it be: is going to baby-sit, or is baby-sitting, for future intentions? | meaning of "there was no changing her mind"
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
What does "leaving a message" mean?What's the difference between 'during' and 'for'?What does 'keep your wig on' mean?meaning of potluckmeaning of flushsleigh vs. sleighmeaning of depictedIs there a full stop missing here?favour vs. favorprecarious position vs. peculiar positioninductive vs. inductiveair condition vs. air conditioningmeaning of referred