Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

close at hand
rubber
nearby
severe
simple
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Meaning of 'accede'

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
answer can be rely and hang both what say? | what does mean would not hold water?
listening exercisestell a friend
Meaning of 'accede' #1 (permalink) Sat Aug 20, 2005 16:40 pm   Meaning of 'accede'

Test No. incompl/advan-90 "High School Vocabulary", question 1

The result of the election didn't give either candidate a clear majority but in the end the leader of the opposition agreed to step down and ......... to the wishes of the electorate.

(a) accept
(b) accent
(c) accede
(d) ascend

Test No. incompl/advan-90 "High School Vocabulary", answer 1

The result of the election didn't give either candidate a clear majority but in the end the leader of the opposition agreed to step down and accede to the wishes of the electorate.

Correct answer: (c) accede

is this correct?

Garnelly
Garnelly

Meaning of 'accede' #2 (permalink) Sat Aug 20, 2005 17:55 pm   Meaning of 'accede'

Accede to is correct and means agree to/accept.
Co-founder
Alan Townend

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of 'accede' #3 (permalink) Sun Mar 30, 2008 17:54 pm   Meaning of 'accede'

Hi,

May I have a question, please?
I don't take this sentence in. The leader stepped down (or resigned) to accede to the wishes of the electorate? But if he had the votes of half the electorate (because The result of the election didn't give either candidate a clear majority ), then he acceded to the wishes of only half the electorate, those who had voted against him, right? Then why did you write "accede to the wishes of the electorate" ?

Thanks!
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Meaning of 'accede' #4 (permalink) Mon Mar 31, 2008 19:43 pm   Meaning of 'accede'

Hi lost-soul,

You have a point but then remember the test as I see, concerns the use of 'accede' and what it means.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

answer can be rely and hang both what say? | what does mean would not hold water?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
What does the idiom 'hit the hay' mean?difference between phrasal verb 'cut back' and 'cut off'?what origin is this made up from?Idiom "by ear"What does the idiom 'barking up the wrong tree' mean?"come into work" vs "come in to work"commited is more preferred than commissionedwhat do you mean by wimp?what's the different between uneven and unequal?Why is "I feel like such a gullible person"?I guess the comma after the word 'elect' was a typo.need vs. mustraise vs. arise