close at hand
rubber
nearby
severe
simple

Meaning of 'accede'

answer can be rely and hang both what say? | what does mean would not hold water?
Meaning of 'accede' #1 (permalink) Sat Aug 20, 2005 16:40 pm   Meaning of 'accede'

Test No. incompl/advan-90 "High School Vocabulary", question 1

The result of the election didn't give either candidate a clear majority but in the end the leader of the opposition agreed to step down and ......... to the wishes of the electorate.

(a) accept
(b) accent
(c) accede
(d) ascend

Test No. incompl/advan-90 "High School Vocabulary", answer 1

The result of the election didn't give either candidate a clear majority but in the end the leader of the opposition agreed to step down and accede to the wishes of the electorate.

Correct answer: (c) accede
_________________________

is this correct?

Garnelly
Garnelly

Meaning of 'accede' #2 (permalink) Sat Aug 20, 2005 17:55 pm   Meaning of 'accede'

Accede to is correct and means agree to/accept.
_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of 'accede' #3 (permalink) Sun Mar 30, 2008 17:54 pm   Meaning of 'accede'

May I have a question, please?
I don't take this sentence in. The leader stepped down (or resigned) to accede to the wishes of the electorate? But if he had the votes of half the electorate (because The result of the election didn't give either candidate a clear majority ), then he acceded to the wishes of only half the electorate, those who had voted against him, right? Then why did you write "accede to the wishes of the electorate" ?

Thanks!

Meaning of 'accede' #4 (permalink) Mon Mar 31, 2008 19:43 pm   Meaning of 'accede'

Hi lost-soul,

You have a point but then remember the test as I see, concerns the use of 'accede' and what it means.

_________________

What does the idiom 'hit the hay' mean?difference between phrasal verb 'cut back' and 'cut off'?what origin is this made up from?Idiom "by ear"What does the idiom 'barking up the wrong tree' mean?"come into work" vs "come in to work"commited is more preferred than commissionedwhat do you mean by wimp?what's the different between uneven and unequal?Why is "I feel like such a gullible person"?I guess the comma after the word 'elect' was a typo.need vs. mustraise vs. arise