group of judges; board; band; strip; crew; staff
deregulation
section
travel
panel

Meaning of expression "under the weather"

What does write up mean? | fair judgement vs. fair trial
Meaning of expression "under the weather" #1 (permalink) Mon Aug 22, 2005 20:20 pm   Meaning of expression "under the weather"

Test No. express/elem-8 "Preposition Exercises", question 10

I honestly don't think I can make it tonight as I'm feeling a little under the weather.

(a) cold
(b) wet
(c) unwell
(d) upset

Test No. express/elem-8 "Preposition Exercises", answer 10

I honestly don't think I can make it tonight as I'm feeling a little unwell.

Correct answer: (c) unwell
_________________________

I am confused about the meaning of the expression, is it something about temperature or is it about moods?

what stands for "under the weather"? I have no clue.

Raul
Raul

Define 'under the weather' #2 (permalink) Mon Aug 22, 2005 22:03 pm   Define 'under the weather'

Hi Raul,

This expression means you are not feeling very well. It suggests you're not exactly sure why you feel like this and it is also associated with feeling depressed. We have other expressions like: feel down. It is connected with the weather as some people feel depressed when the sky is dark and dull and it is raining.

Hope this helps

_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Meaning of expression "under the weather" #3 (permalink) Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:45 am   Meaning of expression "under the weather"

is it like , The weather get me down ?
Spacetoon

Meaning of expression "under the weather" #4 (permalink) Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:39 am   Meaning of expression "under the weather"

Saying "I'm under the weather" means that you feel a little bit sick or ill.

The meaning of this idiom does not have a direct connection with the weather.

_________________

Under the weather #5 (permalink) Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:10 am   Under the weather

I wonder where the saying "under the weather" came from originally. You would think that it would have something to do with the weather. Maybe it harks back to the days of sailing as the weather had such a bearing ...(no pun intended)....on the success or failure of sea journeys.
Byron Bay

Meaning of expression "under the weather" #6 (permalink) Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:54 am   Meaning of expression "under the weather"

The most popular theory:
Meaning: To be ill.
Example: I'd love to help you move all your furniture next weekend, but I expect to be feeling a bit under the weather.
Origin: Passengers aboard ships become seasick most frequently during times of rough seas and bad weather. Seasickness is caused by the constant rocking motion of the ship. Sick passengers go below deck, which provides shelter from the weather, but just as importantly the sway is not as great below deck, low on the ship.
On a ship the greatest swaying action is on deck, and the most stable point is down near the keel. Hence seasick passengers tend to feel better below deck.
Some illnesses like rheumatism and arthritis act during time of poor weather. Sufferers from those ailments are literally under the influence of the weather.

Source:
http://www.joe-ks.com/phrases/phrasesU.htm

Additional information:
The phrase may also relate to the nautical phrase "under the weather bow," a reference to the windward side of the ship that catches the brunt of the wind and high seas during a storm.
Source: http://blog.chicagoweathercenter.com/2010/07/what-is-the-origin-of-the-phrase-feeling-under-the-weather.html

More theories at:
http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/587945
_________________

skip it-omit it?remove desire, ill will and ignoranceWhat does 'vicious' mean?Meaning of "To make headway"How to use prepositions of time?What does "butter up" mean?It is correct "... you must wear ..."?"Work out" vs "Work on"Use 'just': for exemple: Just him and me?At midnight VERSUS on midnightIdiom: 'to be a such a chicken'Using the verb 'to quit' instead of verb the 'to desert'Time prepositions (on/in/at)