to make insusceptible to a disease
prognosticate
immunize
gesticulate
elicit

TOEFLŪ essay example: When should we get married?

TOEFLŪ essay sample: Women go out to work. | TOEFLŪ iBT essay: People should somtimes do things that they do not enjoy doing.
TOEFL essay example: When should we get married? #1 (permalink) Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:48 pm   TOEFL essay example: When should we get married?

"No one should marry before the age of 30. Do you agree or disagree with the statement? Why (not)?

In the modern life, the way people think about marriage is changing. In fact, we are focusing on working hard to have a good job, a good position that are all called a good base to have a happy family in the future. Hence, we don’t care about the time or age we’ll marry. Thus, it is said that we should not marry before the age of 30. For me, this statement is partly right for some reasons.

The point I disagree with this statement is that if you are female you should marry before you are 30 years old. This can be explained that it is not good for woman to have a baby after the age of 30. The scientific research shows that it will badly affect the children in the future if their mothers are pregnant at the age more than 25.
In contrast, if you are male I think it is a good advice because of the two reasons. Firstly, I think 30 years old is not enough for you to be mature to have a happy family. The more time you deal with the problems in your single life will help you deal with your family life later. Secondly, with general assumption that you graduate at 22 years old then 8 years later is a good time for you to create your own assets before marrying someone.

To sum up, this statement is a good advice for men but not a good idea for women. However, if you are a mature man and have a successful life, you can marry whenever you want. Therefore, it is not really important issue that whether you marry before or after the age of 30. The problem is that would you ensure that you could have a happy family with all you are having now or not.

TOEFL listening lectures: A university lecture by a professor of Social History (2)
Mango_Yogurt

TOEFL essay example: When should we get married? #2 (permalink) Mon Jul 20, 2009 14:39 pm   TOEFL essay example: When should we get married?

That sounds like a coherent argument. Very few could write so elegantly!

By the way, how old are you? ;) (kidding)
_________________
First lesson - English, not english. I, not i. ~A student of English
Gray

Location: Proxima Centauri

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemHave you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
TOEFL essay example: When should we get married? #3 (permalink) Mon Jul 20, 2009 15:49 pm   TOEFL essay example: When should we get married?

I would be happy if you could give me more detail comments :D
Mango_Yogurt

TOEFL essay example: When should we get married? #4 (permalink) Mon Jul 20, 2009 15:55 pm   TOEFL essay example: When should we get married?

Mango_Yogurt wrote:

There is not much I could comment (read -- criticize) here :)

The essay is very well thought and written. You could also make it more generic by mentioning the way things are changing. Many couples now prefer to live together before marriage. So, in that case, there is no such thing as late or early.

Living eight years of solitude does not bring any good. More than career, what is more important in life is to understand someone closely and be able to put up with (or make your mind to put up with ;)) himher for the whole life.
_________________
Gray

Location: Proxima Centauri

TOEFL essay example: When should we get married? #5 (permalink) Mon Jul 20, 2009 18:05 pm   TOEFL essay example: When should we get married?

(Today) the way people think about marriage is changing. In fact,we are focusing on working hard to (ensure our gaining) a good job and a good position.
These assure us of (establishing) a good base to have a happy family in the future. Hence, we don’t care about the time or age (that) we’ll marry.

Thus, it is said that we should not marry before the age of 30. For me, this statement is partly right for some reasons.

The point I disagree with (in) this statement is that if you are female you should marry before you are 30 years old. This can be explained (by saying) that it is not good for (a) woman to have a baby after the age of 30. (S)cientific research shows that it will badly affect children in the future if their mothers are pregnant at (a later age than 25).

In contrast, if you are male, I think it is good advice because of the(se) two reasons.

Firstly, I think 30 years old is not (old) enough for you to be mature (enough)to have a happy family.
The more time you (take to) deal with the problems in your single life, ( the more it) will help you deal with your family (in later life.)

Secondly, with (a) general assumption that you graduate at 22 years old, then 8 years later is a good time for you to (have acquired)) your own assets before marrying someone.

To sum up, this statement (can be taken as) good advice for men but not a good idea for women. However, if you are a mature man and have a successful life, you can marry whenever you want.

Therefore, it is not (a) really important issue whether you marry before or after the age of 30. The problem is that (c)ould you ensure that you could have a happy family with all you hav(e) now or not (?)
_________________

TOEFL essay example: When should we get married? #6 (permalink) Tue Jul 21, 2009 0:29 am   TOEFL essay example: When should we get married?

@Gray: Thank you, I will think about that.

@Kito: Thank you very much. I did read my own essay many times but I did not find any mistakes even though I know it has. Thanks for your help.
Mango_Yogurt

TOEFL essay example: When should we get married? #7 (permalink) Tue Jul 21, 2009 15:54 pm   TOEFL essay example: When should we get married?

MY, a tip. Finish your essay, and leave it for an hour or so.
Then go back and read every word/phrase slowly. You will find the errors.

_________________

TOEFL essay example: When should we get married? #8 (permalink) Tue Jul 21, 2009 18:11 pm   TOEFL essay example: When should we get married?

Kitosdad wrote:

I find this tip very useful, I just corrected myself where I mistakenly wrote -- "they had been told to..." instead of "they were told to...".
For sure, we take the role of the reader when we revisit our writing after some time.
_________________
Gray

Location: Proxima Centauri

TOEFL essay example: When should we get married? #9 (permalink) Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:25 am   TOEFL essay example: When should we get married?

Thanks for your all suggestions. I'll try. I feel like I am in a right place to improve my english :)
Mango_Yogurt

TOEFLŪ essay: Some people prefer to work in one company for all their career.TOEFLŪ writing: The difference between Macroeconomics and MicoroeconomicsTOEFLŪ Essay: people attend college or university for different reasonsTOEFLŪ essay: If you could change one important thing about your hometown what...TOEFLŪ essay: There is nothing that young people can teach older peopleDiscuss the advantages and disadvantages of studying abroad/working abroad.Following new customs or keep your own customs?TOEFLŪ essay: Teachers should encourage their students to question everythingTOEFLŪ essay: The sole function of public schools should be to teach academic...Advances in transportation and communication like the airplane and the telephoneTOEFLŪ essay: If you could make a positive change to your life, what would you...TOEFLŪ essay: What is the historical event that has a major effect to your countryIt is important to work at a job that you enjoy than it is to earn a lot of money