failing to fulfill an obligation; guilty of an offense
turgid
clement
abstemious
delinquent

TOEFLŪ essay: There is nothing that young people can teach older people

TOEFLŪ essay: Teachers should encourage their students to question everything | TOEFLŪ essay sample: Women go out to work.
TOEFL essay: There is nothing that young people can teach older people #1 (permalink) Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:14 am   TOEFL essay: There is nothing that young people can teach older people

Somebody please rate this essay !!!
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?
There is nothing that young people can teach older people.

Needless to say, we have to respect and obey older people, partly because they have more experience and knowledge than us, so what they say is almost true. However, that doesn't mean they know everything and young people have nothing to teach them. In the following part of the essay, I will support the idea that there are some things we know but they haven't known and they can learn from us.

Young people can teach the elderly anything they may learn through means of mass communication. The statement which is "there is nothing that young people can teach older people" might be true at a certain period of time. Long time ago, when science and technology didn't develop yet, young people learned only through books which were already read by most older people and through the older's experience. So it is obvious that the younger have nothing to teach the elderly. That's why the statement was arised. Nowadays, however, things have changed. With the development of technology, young people can learn from many means of communication such as television, radio and so on. Even a child can know that Sweden's capital is Stockholm which many adults do not know. So there is no reason why the sentence is still correct today.

In addition, children have more time to study than adults, so they can gain more new information than adults. Because the adults have to go to work, they have little time studying new things, especially new technologies and searching for new information. A child, in contrast, they can spend his or her whole time studying. He or she can read science books, watch "discovery channel" on TV in many hours without any concern about their work. Briefly, adults do not have as much time as children to learn new things. This is one of the advantages of children in learning. For instance, that day, I told my mother about the riot in Iraq I saw on TV that morning which she didn't know while being occupied with her work.

Moreover, young people are stronger than the elderly, so they can learn better. Young people have sharp brains, they are creative, they can learn and do things with all their enthusiam. On the contrary, the elderly are old and weak, there are some things they have to follow the younger. Unfortunately, in Vietnam, youths are still looked down in some companies and offices. Some managers or leaders, the older ones, want to appoint who have worked for them quite long to important positions. They think younger staffs can do nothing regardless of how talent these staffs are. At present, young people are performing very well and achieve many successes, especially in computer such as new computer programs.

Finally, children have the special abilty to learn foreign language and they can help older people. For example, my sister used to teach my grandparent english. I sometimes have to ask her about english and she help me a lot in listening.

In conclusion, with the development of technology, knowledge is open to everyone, and older people also have to learn from the younger. Also, because younger people have more time and strength, they can gain more information than the older ones. Besides, children, especially from 4-12, can help older people in learning foreign language. The statement "there is nothing that young people can teach older people" isn't still true nowadays. However, as I mentioned, that statement might be true at a certain period of time, maybe one day in the future that statement is correct again.

TOEFL listening lectures: An organism that generates internal heat is called what?
Simaster

Location: Danang city, Vietnam

TOEFL essay: There is nothing that young people can teach older people #2 (permalink) Tue Jul 21, 2009 15:47 pm   TOEFL essay: There is nothing that young people can teach older people

Nice essay Sim, but your last paragraph was rather repetitive.

Just make sure one of your examiners is not "old and weak", they may mark you low. :)

_________________

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemHere is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
TOEFL essay: There is nothing that young people can teach older people #3 (permalink) Tue Jul 21, 2009 16:43 pm   TOEFL essay: There is nothing that young people can teach older people

Thank you, Mr. Kitos. I will rewrite the last paragraph.
Simaster

Location: Danang city, Vietnam

TOEFL essay: There is nothing that young people can teach older people #4 (permalink) Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:05 am   TOEFL essay: There is nothing that young people can teach older people

Just an idea!

I am taught French by my grandmother. And I do know that as a results of a long period of war, there are a lot of old people can speak English and French and other language very well.
Mango_Yogurt

TOEFLŪ writing: The difference between Macroeconomics and MicoroeconomicsTOEFLŪ Essay: people attend college or university for different reasonsTOEFLŪ essay: If you could change one important thing about your hometown what...TOEFLŪ iBT essay: People should somtimes do things that they do not enjoy doing.Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of studying abroad/working abroad.Following new customs or keep your own customs?TOEFLŪ essay example: When should we get married?TOEFLŪ essay: The sole function of public schools should be to teach academic...Advances in transportation and communication like the airplane and the telephoneTOEFLŪ essay: If you could make a positive change to your life, what would you...TOEFLŪ essay: What is the historical event that has a major effect to your countryTOEFLŪ essay: Should study history, literature or math and science?TOEFLŪ essay: My name is Marilyn Barnes, and I was born in November, 1992,...