Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

person who foretells future events; weatherman
retail
key
basis
forecaster
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

"its absolutely cold" vs "its absolutely freezing"

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
meaning of "have a temper" | the verbs of perception
listening exercisestell a friend
"its absolutely cold" vs "its absolutely freezing" #1 (permalink) Tue Jul 21, 2009 21:06 pm   "its absolutely cold" vs "its absolutely freezing"

hi, i would like to know why

you cannot say "its absolutely cold" but you can say "its absolutely freezing"

and what the difference between "the room is too big" versus "the room is very big"

can you explain the gramatical structures for the sentences

thank you
Saj

why cant you say #2 (permalink) Tue Jul 21, 2009 22:08 pm   why cant you say

Hello, Saj,

We can't say 'absolutely cold', because cold is relative and subjective. That is, there's no definite value that makes something cold, and the range of 'cold' covers a wide range of degrees.

However, 'freezing' is an absolute, or specific, value, i.e. 0 degrees Celsius/32 degrees Fahrenheit.

'The room is too big' means that the size of the room is excessive for your needs, and the extra space will actually create difficulties for you. It's so big that you need the room to be smaller.

'The room is very big', however, is just a comment or observation about the size of the room. You're simply commenting that it is indeed a large room. However, you're not stating that the size is a problem or anything, it's just an observation.
Skrej
I'm here quite often ;-)

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
meaning of "have a temper" | the verbs of perception
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Is there...? Yes, there is. (or Yes, there are two...?)Agree with or agree aboutUnderstand or understood?Expression "as is true of (something)"In the middle of some people?-ING doubt: I have done is kiss(was kissing) my boss.Meaning of proverb: shoot for the moonUsage of when: When are you going back to Italy or when do you go back to Italy?I have always wanted to be a singer. I have always wanted to buy this pair of...I can not find what symbol I should put between I and m if I want to write 'I am'Do you enjoy your meal? vs Are you enjoying your meal?Sentence "This product is elegant and durable, all in one go!"respond or response