person who abandons something, as a religion, cause or movement; traitor
ennui
longevity
aptitude
renegade

TOEFL® essay: Food can be easily prepared.

TOEFL® essay: Knowledge from books vs. experience | What kind of influence do the media do?
TOEFL essay: Food can be easily prepared. #1 (permalink) Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:16 am   TOEFL essay: Food can be easily prepared.

Essay topic: Nowadays food has become easier to prepare. Has this change improved the way people live? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Good food is essential to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Good food is like a fuel to the body that provides nutrients for higher energy levels. A healthy and balanced diet is important in our day to day living.

I agree that in these fast changing times, food can be easily prepared. Gone are the days when I grew up looking at my grandmother and mother spending a lot of time in the kitchen preparing delicacies for the family. Food has always been one of the main items for special occasions or festivities. In the past women spent their time as homemakers and meeting their family’s needs in terms of maintaining health and good habits. However with a sea change in the working population, as also increasing urbanization, higher percentage of women have started to become independent, trying to be support their family’s material needs. As a result, food habits have taken a back seat in these families where both parents are working.

I would like to share my own example here. I am a working mother and often leave my house in the morning. When i am back from a hard days job, I do not have enough energy to cook food right from scratch. I prefer to shop at supermarkets for packaged meals or frozen foods. My family often hates to eat out and frozen food some times offers a little more than just a compromise. I however do not feel that food that is easily prepared has specifically improved lifestyles. Yes it sure has changed lifestyles somewhat. In the sense that this shift in food habits, does save time for other chores or being around with friends and family. This all certainly comes with the territory. I mean at a certain cost. My experience of relying more on packaged food rather than cooking fresh has not been very satisfying. In my view frozen foods or meals like cup o soup or two minutes maggie noodles could be tasty sometimes but not often. Besides ready made foods that can be cooked or warmed up in minutes are not necessarily healthy. These food have higher calories with more trans fat and saturated fats, as also sugar that obviously adds to weight. An intake of unhealthy carbohydrates is certainly not a good energy source even though it might be appetizing or satisfying sometimes.

Moreover, we all know that an unhealthy diet is the threshold to physical fatigue, emotional distress, obesity and chronic illness like diabetes. Marketers of these foods aggressively promote such items for mere monetary benefits. In today’s high paced envorinment, life quality is more important than anything and eating unhealthy yet easily prepared food can save time only in the short run. I think that it is important for us to buy fresh and eat fresh or thoroughly cook food. This definitely provides proteins, vitamins and good carbohydrates detrimental for a healthy mind and body.

To conclude, we all live to be well and in order to be well, it is important to eat well. Eating right is hence not only a healthy habit but so much more. We all should try to spend a little extra time in the kitchen preparing food that is fresh. A slow change in habits can then be paced up with time

TOEFL listening lectures: A lecture by a professor of Art
Dancingqueen

TOEFL essay: Food can be easily prepared. #2 (permalink) Fri Jul 24, 2009 20:47 pm   TOEFL essay: Food can be easily prepared.

You are good at writing too.

Still a few words --

...trying to support their family’s material needs
When I am back from a hard days job...
cup of soup...
_________________
First lesson - English, not english. I, not i. ~A student of English
Gray

Location: Proxima Centauri

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemStart exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
TOEFL essay: Food can be easily prepared. #3 (permalink) Fri Jul 24, 2009 20:55 pm   TOEFL essay: Food can be easily prepared.

Hey Gray,
Thank you so much for your reply/assessment of my essays. I shall be double careful with spell check next time. Thanks once again for your time.
Dancingqueen
Dancingqueen

TOEFL essay: Food can be easily prepared. #4 (permalink) Fri Jul 24, 2009 20:59 pm   TOEFL essay: Food can be easily prepared.

Anytime!
_________________
Gray

Location: Proxima Centauri

Youngsters work or travel for a year between high school and universityTOEFL® essay: Child ObesitySome movies are serious, desighned to make the audience think. Other movies...What are the most important piece of advice that you would give visitors comingTOEFL® essay: The most important aspect of a job is the money a person earnsA company has announced that it wishes to build a large factory near your...Some people prefer to play team sports, while others prefer to play individual spTOEFL® Independent Speaking Question 1: A bookEssay: Why Mitsubishi Eterna? Finally I chose to buy Mitsubishi Eterna after...TOEFL® essay: Some people prefer to work in one company for all their career.TOEFL® essay: What is one kind of plant that is important to you or people in...Countries should not isolate themselves from the world but instead engage otherTOEFL® essay: Boys and girls should attend separate schools.