Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

nutritionist; expert on nutrition
time
dietician
mean
objective
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

agree with or agree to

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Different laws? Isn't it illegal to phone while driving? | Why is pleased not please?
listening exercisestell a friend
agree with or agree to #1 (permalink) Thu Jul 23, 2009 17:18 pm   agree with or agree to

I know there are rules of "agree with somebody" and "agree to somethings". But I find this quite strange in the following and am not sure whether this is correct or not.

If you agree to the contents of the letter, please reply me.

Should I use "agree with" instead of "agree to" ?

Thank you.
Woewoe
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

agree with or agree to #2 (permalink) Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:50 am   agree with or agree to

If you are making an agreement (contract, etc) and its terms are in the letter, use 'agree to'. If you are asking whether the reader thinks the information in the letter is accurate, use 'agree with'.

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
agree with or agree to #3 (permalink) Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:04 pm   agree with or agree to

hi,

and sorry, Woewoe, if I confused your interesting point now, but "to agree" is one of the few verbs that shows the influence and also importance of prepositions. I mean, its correct meaning does definitely depend on the preposition.

I almost come to think that there isnīt any preposition that canīt be used in connection with agree, is there? Agreed?

Michael

PS : Is the double negation quite British? :? :roll:

agree with or agree to #4 (permalink) Fri Jul 24, 2009 13:32 pm   agree with or agree to

Hi Michael,

The double negative is quite forceful. Agree to/with/on/about.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Different laws? Isn't it illegal to phone while driving? | Why is pleased not please?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
What does 'tied up' mean?What is coordinating conjunction?What does two of a kind mean?blue-bluesEnglish testWhat is important when it comes to auditing?Born to animals?What does idioms 'a land of honey and milk, having a whale of time' mean?'a long row of houses' vs 'a long row of cows'An idiom 'Keep body and soul together'The sentence provides you with the slang idiom used in context...Meaning of 'make an offer for it'Does elegant means the way of serving the food?