difficult situation; difficult decision
panegyric
jeopardy
dilemma
exodus

Some students prefer to study alone. Others prefer to study in groups.

TOEFL® topic: Why do you think people attend university? | TOEFL® essay: We have many examples of people who are successful in their lives.
Some students prefer to study alone. Others prefer to study in groups. #1 (permalink) Sat Jul 25, 2009 21:29 pm   Some students prefer to study alone. Others prefer to study in groups.

Some students prefer to study alone. Others prefer to study in groups. Which do you prefer?

From America to Europe , and all over the world, individual and teamwork has been a part of education. Each of them has its own benefits as well as disadvantages. I prefer working alone on my assignments, it provides me with privacy. But i have to acknowledge that working in groups can be an exciting experience as well. Together the team can come up with more ideas and opinions, as well as increase the chances of doing a better job and therefore getting higher grades.

Studying alone has many advantages, the person is able to choose the time, and the place where he/she wants to study. They would be able to choose their own method of studying. You have an enormous amount of privacy, which you don't have when working in groups. In addition, your grades are based on your own work, and you don't have to depend on others. I personally prefer to study individually, but it depends on the project, sometimes is best to work in groups, depending on the amount of work that needs to be done.

Working in groups has some benefits as well. For example, if the project the group is working on, is very big, then it will be divided in equal parts. For instance, there are four people in that team, then each of the students will get a quarter of the project. Maybe one will be responsible for the introduction, the other two for the body of the project, and the last student will do the conclusion. This promotes team work, and there is a better chance of getting higher grades. On the other hand, and in some cases, there is no team work and some students depend on the work of others. As a result, he/she would get a good grade for a job, which they had not done. This is one of the disadvantage of working in groups.

To sum up, working individually helps me prepare for the future, to learn to make my own choices as well as to improve my methods of studying. I wouldn't need to rely on anyone else, but myself to get my work done. But i do understand the advantages of working in a group, and having the help of others, who can provide the team with new knowledge and ideas.

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between a student and a registration clerk during registration week
_________________
Yamilet
Yamilet

TOEFL Essay: Building factory in your community #2 (permalink) Sat Jul 25, 2009 22:19 pm   TOEFL Essay: Building factory in your community

A company has announced that it wishes to build a large factory near your community. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of this new influence on your community. Do you support or oppose the factory. Explain your position.

A community is a group that thrives and jives together. Communities can be similar or distinctive depending on the basis of class,creed, sex or religion/culture. Communities large or small, are always integrat to the well being of a society or a nation. Moreover, a society's or a neighbourhood's well being is determined by its community's socio economic status.

I agree with the company's decision to build a large factory near my community. Opening up business near my community would definitely be favourable, with some disadvantages though. To elaborate a little, my community comprises of a small town about few hours drive from a big metropolis. This community largely is a university town which attracts students from near by states. Moreover, it is also known for its retirement homes. My community is a small but beautiful place to live in. It certainly promotes good family valuesand beliefs. However it lacks in providing ample job opportunites.

According to me , the factory shall provide a large scope for job opprtyunites not only for graduating students but perhaps some part time occupations for the senior citizens as well. Meeting career needs of my community shall help the residents to be self reliant and independent. It shall keep the senior citizens occupied and make best possible use of thier time. Opening up this factory is significant for my community given the current economic scenario. I am sure that this factory shall lead to further urbanization and development of a small town. Furthermore, with better and more jobs, the resident would have a higher purchasing power. This shall then lead to more market orientation and scope for bigger business transactions. Additionally, this all collectively would surely an incremental change not only for my community but for the state as well. As a result a higher state profit would then generate a better GDP and GNP for the nation.

Moreover, in the whole scenario, my only concern is about the pollution that the factory might be emmit. However, I also understand that to win some , we need to loose some. In this case I beleive we would not be loosing much as all organizations/ factories today have an ethical and societal responsibilites. I beleive, that state and federal regulations would take care of the pollution problem(if any). The other concern is about defforestation that could also be well controlled.

To conclude, I feel a comparison of the alternatives , i have reached a final point. I believe that opening up the factory would any day be a btter desicion. This would be like opening doors to community's expansion and growth and the economic stimulus of the state for a better tomorrow.
Dancingqueen

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemLearn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Some students prefer to study alone. Others prefer to study in groups. #3 (permalink) Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:52 am   Some students prefer to study alone. Others prefer to study in groups.

Dear Mr. Kitos,

Kindly Edit this and as usual i request your comments (grammer, sentence frame etc.) - Thanks Hema

I sometimes prefer to study alone; I get disturbed when I study in groups. I can’t concentrate on my studies. I like to study by listening to light music.

I prefer to study during night, because that is the time I’ll not be distracted by anything and it will be quiet and I will not have any chance of loosing my concentration. I never like to study during the day because I always get distract with my niece, nephew, sisters, brothers etc.

I had no study room, so I was not able to invite my friends for group studies and my dad never allowed me to go to my friends’ house for studying. May be this is one of the reasons that I don’t prefer to study in groups.

While studying in groups it encourages students to study better and they will be able to discuss their doubts and they can exchange & correct their answers. When all the students in groups studied and one don’t then it is embarrassing, so this makes them to study along with other students and prepare well.

Students can concentrate better when they study together in groups; they will not be distracted with any thing. They will be able to recall the lessons better when they study in groups. In the case if they forget any answer in the examination hall, they can recall the answer by the incident occurred or discussions they had during the group study. This helps them to score better in their examination.

When they study in groups it helps them to study much better than others in the group and they will be interested to study more. Studying in groups will help the students who are low graded or playful. Students can rectify there mistakes by discussing the topic in the groups. This builds interest within them to study well.

But in the case of students who are studying alone will get distracted easily. They will slip their concentration, when they see something. In the case if they forget the answer in the examination hall, it will be difficult to recall the answer, if they haven’t studied it thoroughly. Students who study alone can’t rectify their error.

So I feel studying in groups is better than studying alone. There are advantages & disadvantages in studying in groups and studying alone. It is up to the students to decide accordingly.
Hema Bernard

Some students prefer to study alone. Others prefer to study in groups. #4 (permalink) Thu Jul 30, 2009 15:46 pm   Some students prefer to study alone. Others prefer to study in groups.

Hema, that was GREAT! You are progressing so very well. Congratulations.

_________________

Some students prefer to study alone. Others prefer to study in groups. #5 (permalink) Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:15 am   Some students prefer to study alone. Others prefer to study in groups.

Thanks a Ton - Mr.Kitos

Its because of your inspiration. Thanks once again

Kindly edit it

Hema
Hema Bernard

Some students prefer to study alone. Others prefer to study in groups. #6 (permalink) Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:41 am   Some students prefer to study alone. Others prefer to study in groups.

I sometimes prefer to study alone(as) I (find it disturbing to) study in groups.
I can’t concentrate on my studies (because) I like to study(whilst) listening to light music.

I prefer to study during (the)night, because that is the time (that) I’ll not be distracted by anything and it will be quiet, and I will not have any chance of losing my concentration.
I never like to study during the day because I always get distract(ed) (by) my niece, nephew, sisters, brothers etc.

I ha(ve) no study room, so I (am) not able to invite my friends for group studies and my (Father) never allow(s) me to go to my friends’ house for studying.

(Maybe) this is one of the reasons that I don’t prefer to study in groups.

Studying in groups encourages students to study better, and they will be able to discuss their doubts and they can exchange & correct their answers.

When all the students in groups studied and one (doesn't) then it is embarrassing, so this makes them to study along with other students and prepare well.

Students can concentrate better when they study together in groups; they will not be distracted (by anything).
They will be able to recall the lessons better when they study in groups.

In the case (where) they forget any answer in the examination hall, they can recall the answer by (any) incident (that) occurred, or (by recalling) discussions they had during the group study. This helps them to score better in their examination.

When they study in groups it helps them to study much better than others in the group, and they will be interested to study more. Studying in groups will help the students who are low graded or playful.

Students can rectify (their) mistakes by discussing the topic in groups. This builds interest within them to study well.

But in the case of students who are studying alone, (they) will get distracted easily. They will (lose) their concentration when they see (or hear) something.

In the case (where) they forget the answer in the examination hall, it will be difficult to recall the answer if they haven’t studied it thoroughly.

Students who study alone can’t rectify their error(s).

So I feel studying in groups is better than studying alone. There are advantages & disadvantages in studying in groups and studying alone. It is up to the (individual) student to decide accordingly.

Too many "I's" in your opening paragraphs Hema. Try using a few more conjunctions to improve the flow of your essay. It would have been beneficial to your essay if you had done so.
Your vocabulary is increasing very well.

"When all the students in groups studied and one (doesn't) then it is embarrassing, so this makes them to study along with other students and prepare well." This sentence is rather confusing and should be omitted or rewritten.

_________________

Some students prefer to study alone. Others prefer to study in groups. #7 (permalink) Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:56 am   Some students prefer to study alone. Others prefer to study in groups.

I Got my mistake in this papragraph it should have been like this

(When all the students in groups have studied and one doesn't studied well (scored well), then it will be embrassing, so this makes them to study along with other students and prepare well.) does it make sense now

Hema
Hema Bernard

Some students prefer to study alone. Others prefer to study in groups. #8 (permalink) Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:14 am   Some students prefer to study alone. Others prefer to study in groups.

Yes.
_________________

Some students prefer to study alone. Others prefer to study in groups. #9 (permalink) Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:49 am   Some students prefer to study alone. Others prefer to study in groups.

Mr. Kitos,

Actually i worte it in past tense may be i would have not used the words correctly in my earlier essay.

"During my schooling I never used to study during the day as I was always getting distracted by my niece, nephew, sisters, brother etc.

I had no study room, so I was not able to invite my friends for group studies and my father never allowed me to go to my friends’ house for studying. May be this is one of the reasons that I don’t prefer to study in groups."

Is these sentences are fine

Hema
Hema Bernard

Some students prefer to study alone. Others prefer to study in groups. #10 (permalink) Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:51 am   Some students prefer to study alone. Others prefer to study in groups.

Dear Ms.Yamilet,

I'm really sorry for using your post

Hema
Hema Bernard

Some students prefer to study alone. Others prefer to study in groups. #11 (permalink) Fri Jul 31, 2009 13:43 pm   Some students prefer to study alone. Others prefer to study in groups.

"Actually I wrote it in the past tense. Maybe I would not have used those words correctly in my earlier essay."

"Maybe this is one of the reasons that I prefer not to study in groups."

"Are these sentences acceptable?"

Hema, above are the corrections. Please study them.
_________________

Some students prefer to study alone. Others prefer to study in groups. #12 (permalink) Tue Aug 04, 2009 21:21 pm   Some students prefer to study alone. Others prefer to study in groups.

Hi Hema
That's no problem at all. Any time.
_________________
Yamilet
Yamilet

Some students prefer to study alone. Others prefer to study in groups. #13 (permalink) Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:25 am   Some students prefer to study alone. Others prefer to study in groups.

Hi Yamilet,

Thank a ton

Hema
Hema Bernard

TOEFL® essay: When people succeed, it is because of hard work. Luck has nothing...Women should go to work or stay at home?Young people enjoy life more than older people do.What are the qualities of a good neighborChildren should help with tasks around the house from very young age.Name a part of your life that you would like to relive.Is PTE test similiar to TOEFL® test?Is the ability to read and write more important today than in the past?Most advertisements make products seem better than what they really are?Qualities of an ideal language teacher.Some people like to read fiction book while other prefer non-fiction...TOEFL® essay: A friend is the one who understands and shares all our feelings...TOEFL® essay: Why is English important nowadays?