materially or practically useful; applicable
clement
utilitarian
sporadic
zealous

Some people say that advertising encourages us to buy things we really do not...

TOEFLŪ essay: The most important aspect of a job is the money a person earns | TOEFLŪ essay: What do you want most in a friend?
Some people say that advertising encourages us to buy things we really do not... #1 (permalink) Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:11 am   Some people say that advertising encourages us to buy things we really do not...

Please help me to check my essay and score it. Thanks very much in advance.
------------------------------------
Topic:
Some people say that advertising encourages us to buy things we really do not need. Others say that advertisements tell us about new products that may improve our lives. Which viewpoint do you agree with? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Advertising is a business of making money by introducing and encouraging people to buy new products or use services. Whether it is good or bad depends on the aims of manufacturers.

In the first place, advertising is good because it tells us about new products. I cannot go shopping everyday so I watch television, read newspaper to have information about new products. In this case, advertising is helpful because both buyers and sellers have benefits. Buyers can enjoy the products and sellers have money.

Moreover, advertising is interesting. It attracts not only adults but also children. For example, in the advertisement of milk, there are both imagines and music. The imagine of milking cows singing the song “so happy together” impresses many people. Children have fun and insist their parents to buy this kind of milk. So why don’t we think advertising is one kind of entertainment?

In the second place, some people find they are being cheated when advertising urges them to buy things they really do not need. With modern technique, there are many counterfeit products and bad products. For example, the advertising of soft drink urges us to buy it. But when we drink, contrary to the advertisement, it have no effect or may harm our health.
So before buying a product we should consider whether it is good or bad.

To sum up, advertising has both advantages and disadvantages. But I am sure that it is growing very fast in contemporary society. Advertising promotes a product or service. Also it encourages economy to develop. You could say it is a necessary liar in our lives.

269 words

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between two university instructors
Sung_Tung

Do you think learning with people of different age in the same class is a...It has recently been announced that a new restaurant may be built in your neighbTOEFLŪ essay placementName a part of your life that you would like to reliveIf you could comeback some time and place in the past. When and where would...TOEFLŪ essay: What recent news has affected you the most and in which way?TOEFLŪ essay: Steps you take to solve your problemsTOEFLŪ essay: Knowledge gained from books and from experience. Which source is...Classmates are a more important influence than parents on a child's success...I want to improve my vocabulary to write essay better in TOEFLŪ exam...TOEFLŪ essay: Changing one thing about your hometownTOEFLŪ essay: Parents are the best teachersTOEFLŪ essay: Building factory in your community