inhabitant; one who lives in a particular location
resident
embrace
remit
gate

What does unrealistic mean?

curb-to-curb? | Prime example of the Code of Practice
What does unrealistic mean? #1 (permalink) Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:13 am   What does unrealistic mean?

ESL/EFL Test #132 "Conversations and Comprehension (3)", question 5

Woman: I've had it with my boss! He's completely unrealistic about our goals and wants me to work overtime again tonight!
Man: Do you get overtime pay?
Woman: Are you kidding? I have a salary position.
Narrator: What does the woman mean? .........

(a) She doesn't like her boss because he is angry all the time.
(b) She doesn't get paid by the hour and she doesn't get paid for any overtime worked.
(c) She gets paid for overtime work but her boss wants her to do too much.

ESL/EFL Test #132 "Conversations and Comprehension (3)", answer 5

Man: Do you get overtime pay?
Narrator: What does the woman mean? She doesn't get paid by the hour and she doesn't get paid for any overtime worked.

Correct answer: (b) She doesn't get paid by the hour and she doesn't get paid for any overtime worked.
_________________________

what's unrealistic means

Mirko
Mirko

What does unrealistic mean? #2 (permalink) Sat Aug 01, 2009 14:53 pm   What does unrealistic mean?

'Unrealistic' means it is unlikely to happen in the real world. Expecting my sister to arrive at the time we agreed is unrealistic. She is always late. Ten minutes late is just possible. Half an hour late is more realistic.
Gzornenplat

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
What does unrealistic mean? #3 (permalink) Fri Jan 01, 2010 14:57 pm   What does unrealistic mean?

Hi Teachers
What do we call a job position inclusive of overtime compensation:
salary position vs. overtime position?
Ali
Aliraf62

Location: Sweden

What does unrealistic mean #4 (permalink) Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:28 am   What does unrealistic mean

Could you please explain why “worked” is used in the correct answer “for any overtime worked” of this test?

Since “for” is a preposition, a word or group of words that is used before a noun, a noun phrase or a pronoun, the correct noun is “work” rather than “worked”, isn’t it? Alternatively, shouldn’t it be “for any overtime” or “for any overtime work” because “overtime” is an uncountable noun and can modify "worK" too?

1. http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/preposition
2. http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/+overtime

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.
Bhikkhu1991a

What does unrealistic mean? #5 (permalink) Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:09 am   What does unrealistic mean?

'She doesn't get paid for any overtime work' is a less common construction, but still correct. 'She doesn't get paid for any overtime worked' could be considered a contraction of 'She doesn't get paid for any overtime that she has worked'

All the following can be used interchangeably in the original example (and probably others as well).

'She doesn't get paid overtime' (in the sense that they don't pay her for any overtime she does)
'She doesn't get paid overtime' (in the sense that 'paid overtime' is something that isn't in her contract of work, it's 'unpaid overtime')
'She doesn't get paid for overtime'
'She doesn't get any paid overtime'
'She doesn't get paid for any overtime'
'She doesn't get paid for any overtime work'
'She doesn't get paid for any overtime worked'
'She doesn't get paid for any overtime that she works'
'She doesn't get paid for any overtime that she has worked'
'She doesn't get paid for any overtime that she might work'
'She doesn't get paid for any overtime that she might have worked'
Gzornenplat

Does thriftiness mean to save money with clipping coupons?Test incompl/advan-847, Question 5Test incompl/advan-847, Question 4Why can negotiations result in a significant discount?Test incompl/advan-847, Question 2Please check these paragraphs and correct if there are any mistakesrestriction versus limitationextremely crucialto win big payout amountsTOEIC® listening part III, set 18, exercise 7My dog loves lying on her dog bedwhat is a bear market?What does "never mind" mean?