Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

benefit; profit; utility; avail
accord
rear
advantage
election
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Past Simple or Past Perfect? The usage of the time signal "By"

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Speak the language without learning the grammar of that language | The right definition of one masonic symbol
listening exercisestell a friend
Past Simple or Past Perfect? The usage of the time signal "By" #1 (permalink) Mon Aug 03, 2009 22:08 pm   Past Simple or Past Perfect? The usage of the time signal "By"

I have recently come across a very confusing usage differences of the word "by:"

1. By the fourteenth century, conventional battles with knights (had become/became) all but obsolte.

2. By the fourteenth century, knights rarely (had fought/fought) in battle.

3. James McGarken (recorded/had recorded) many of his classics by 1999.

4. By the time we got to the theater, I (was/had been) very tired.

5. By the sixth century B.C., war chariots (were rarely used/had rarely been used) in battle.

6. I (had talked/talked) to James by the time we arrived at the theater.

here are my answers:

had become, fought, had recorded, was, were rarely used, had talked

(though for #4, 'had been' can also be used as long as there is a duration implied,
as in 'By the time we got to the theater, I had been tired for over an hour.
but that would not be 'past perfect,' that would be in the 'past perfect continuous'
sense... the same logic would apply to #5 as well)

at any rate... why the discrepancies?
why do some contexts sound clearly wrong with simple past tense yet correct
in other contexts? I fail to see the differences, other than the fact that it sounds
blatantly wrong to a trained ear of a native speaker..

is there any clear cut rule for 'by' as far as tenses go?
or are we doomed to find the intended meaning of the sentence and see which
tense is appropriate?
Deanchhsw

Past Simple or Past Perfect? The usage of the time signal "By" #2 (permalink) Mon Aug 03, 2009 23:58 pm   Past Simple or Past Perfect? The usage of the time signal "By"

Yes, it turns upon the meaning. We use words to reflect meaning.

#1: the 'becoming' is essentially complete by 1301.
#2: the rarity of fighting exists 1301-1400.

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Speak the language without learning the grammar of that language | The right definition of one masonic symbol
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Difference between 'write off' and 'write out'how to use "prove"How can I use by? (I will be there by 8:00 pm o, clock.)When "bland" means "sweet"?How to make these sentences into Plural? (a pupil is not a teacher...)How to start a sentenceAnnihilation vs ExterminationDifference between at last, at the end and finallyIt slipped from my mind. vs It was out of my mind.The answer to "Would you mind": Yes or NoDifference in Grammar and Usage In American and British EnglishSentence structure: Much to my surprise, he is planning to go to Japan.Three Stages of life