to do speedily; to send off; to eliminate; to dismiss
divulge
denounce
obtrude
dispatch

TOEFLŪ essay: Why is English important nowadays?

Some students prefer to study alone, while other students prefer to study with... | Sometimes success is harder to accept than failure. Write about one such situaton
TOEFL essay: Why is English important nowadays? #1 (permalink) Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:52 am   TOEFL essay: Why is English important nowadays?

hello everyone. I am Nino from Georgia. This year I am going to take national exams in my country. I have written some essays in English and I am going to write more. I will be very thankful if my essays will be corrected. Yous forum helped me great deal . Here are found many essays which helped me. Here are some my essays:

Why is English important nowadays?

The basic purpose of the language is to get an idea out of one brain into another. If you include people who speak English as a second language, it is the most commonly spoken language on the Earth. It is a world language.
In every country schools teach their children English because the teachers know that it can be useful for the children in their life. So English is very important nowadays. I have several supporting arguments.

Firstly, English is a language of progressive science and technology, trade and cultural relations.

Secondly, hundreds and hundreds of books, magazines and newspapers are printed in English and are read all over the world.

Finally, English is everywhere. It is in clothing, soft drink and household product around the world.

In conclusion, English is very essential nowadays.

3. The 21st century has begun. What changes
will this new century bring?

We live in the 21st century, the age of developed
Technology. Many people call it the information age ,
which came after the agricultural and industrial ages. I
think there are some changes this new century will bring.

Firstly, with the help of modern technologies people will
get education or do business without leaving their homes.

Secondly, More and more people will be able to send and
receive different kind of information by using the
mobile, phone, telephones, internet.

Finally, with healthier lifestyles and better medical care
the average person will probably live longer. I think
doctors will be able to cure diseases which are incurable
today.

In conclusion I believe people will be healthier and richer
in the 21st century.

2. The 20th century has finished. What are the most important
achievements of that century?

Many important achievements and discoveries were made in
the 20th century. But to my mind the most important
achievement of this century is personal computer. The invention of computer was important because it was followed by many other exciting developments such as internet, e mail, hundreds of computer programs.

To my mind another the greatest achievement of the 20th century is a space flight. I find it exciting to remember what was achieved by the first space pioneers Yuri Gagagarin and Neil Armstrong. I think that what they did will one day lead to the discovery of life on the other planet.

Finally, none of modern activities would be possible without electric power. No light, no computer, no mobile phone would work without it. Electricity is essential for the modern world.

In conclusion, if you ask me what the greatest achievements are of the 20th century, I will say without any hesitation- personal computer, electricity and space flight.

4. Do you agree or disagree with the following
statement. Telephones and e-mails have made
communication between people less personal.

We are living in the era of communication. Almost
everybody has a telephone and a computer, which is
connected to the Internet. These inventions have some
positive sides –especially when we should talk to a person
who is a long distance away from us , but they have one
negative side, they made communication between people
less personal. I have several supporting arguments.

Firstly, you cannot guest characteristic features of the person, you communicate with e-mails or telephone.

Secondly, when we meet a person we feel his emotions, feeling, sorrows or happiness. We can see his reaction to what we say.

Finally, according to me sending e-mails are the least personal way for communicating. Sometimes we cannot easily choose what to write.

In conclusion, based on all the points mentioned above, I believe telephones and e-mails have made communication between people less personal.

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between two university students (1)
Nino99

TOEFLŪ essay: We have many examples of people who are successful in their lives.Is the ability to read and write more important today than in the past?Most advertisements make products seem better than what they really are?TOEFLŪ topic: Why do you think people attend university?Some people like to read fiction book while other prefer non-fiction...TOEFLŪ essay: A friend is the one who understands and shares all our feelings...Whether students should work for a company or work for themselver after graduate?Some young adults want independence from their parents as soon as possible.Do you want to spend time doing job rather than staying with your family?Why do people attend college or university?If I finish a TOEFLŪ section earlier, do I move on, or I have to wait till the fixTOEFLŪ topic: what are the needed characteristics of a good teacher?Television has hurt the ability of people to communicate with one another