place; position; situation; site; spot
perishable
rise
location
chain

A good dictionary for slang idioms

Audience vs. spectator | Very kind of you
A good dictionary for slang idioms #1 (permalink) Fri Aug 14, 2009 22:22 pm   A good dictionary for slang idioms

"Hi, Peter, it's Marcie. I must be honest; I wasn't sure that you were going to make it here but you sure proved me wrong. You have consistently gone above and beyond the standard and you are definitely in my ......... books."

(a) grey
(b) good
(c) heavy
(d) school

"Hi, Peter, it's Marcie. I must be honest; I wasn't sure that you were going to make it here but you sure proved me wrong. You have consistently gone above and beyond the standard and you are definitely in my good books."

Correct answer: (b) good

_________________________

Would you please name a good dictionary for slang idioms? I'd appreciate it a lot.

Starr
Starr

A good dictionary for slang idioms #2 (permalink) Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:33 am   A good dictionary for slang idioms

Hi Starr,

There are many books you can buy on this topic. I would suggest you look for anything written by the Australian, Eric Partridge.

_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
How can I learn English grammar?Things such as "lives in the outskirts of"...I don't think you are going to get your damage deposit back...I'm here to inform you that I'm pressing charges against...liability is not a debit or creditDo you have questions not about elephants?"out of a sense" vs "in a sense of"When do we use "their" and they're in the sentence?How do elephants drink water with trunks?What does the expression 'seeing forest from trees' mean?meaning of deviateHe lost interest in it vs. he lost his interestPresent continuous vs. present simple