Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

dress; clothing; apparel
research
stance
attire
subject
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What's the meaning of one hundredth of a second?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Usage of Engrossed | meaning of blessed and humbled
listening exercisestell a friend
What's the meaning of one hundredth of a second? #1 (permalink) Sat Aug 15, 2009 19:49 pm   What's the meaning of one hundredth of a second?

Hi everyone,

What's the meaning of one hundredth of a second?

I try to look it up on the online dictionary. And it gives an example.

She has knocked one/a hundredth of a second off the world record.

I am wondering if the example means she probably runs very fast and her speed of running is less than one hundredth of a second as compared with the world record. So that means she runs very fast anyway.

But I guess I still don't get it. Please give me a favor if possible. And please explains what's the meaning of the example 'She has knocked one/a hundredth of a second off the world record.'

I also found out that 'one hundredth of a second' is a movie name anyway. :P
Thanks in advance.
I'm here quite often ;-)

What's the meaning of one hundredth of a second? #2 (permalink) Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:11 am   What's the meaning of one hundredth of a second?

She has run/swum/driven with 1/100 faster than the previous world record holder has.
SkiIucK
I'm here quite often ;-)

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Usage of Engrossed | meaning of blessed and humbled
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Some grammatical errors: Most people have lost their jobs for months...Difference between at the end, finally and at lastWhy cant I understand exactly while listening something in English?Whereas and where: Can they be used interchangeably?Usage of Go the whole hogSentence: I have been slogging my ass for a long time and I am getting peanuts.What is the difference between 'tank top' and 'strap top'?be good for a free lunchI have gone to Sri Lanka. vs I have been to Sri Lanka.Sentence: What do you think would happen to you if your father hadn't been...Idiom: Knowledge grows or expand with sharing as opposed to depletingGrammatical questions: The flavor of chocolate depends on the quality of the...Can I say 'I can't imagine him behaving as that'?