Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to glide; to sneak; to slide; to decline; to deteriorate; to make a mistake
detect
neglect
provide
slip
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Things such as "lives in the outskirts of"...

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
When do we use "their" and they're in the sentence? | I don't think you are going to get your damage deposit back...
listening exercisestell a friend
Things such as "lives in the outskirts of"... #1 (permalink) Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:29 am   Things such as "lives in the outskirts of"...

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #650 "Prepositional Phrases - In, On, Out and Under (23)", question 2

Larry recently moved out of his old apartment. He now lives ......... the outskirts of the city where housing is a bit cheaper.

(a) in
(b) on
(c) out
(d) under

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #650 "Prepositional Phrases - In, On, Out and Under (23)", answer 2

Larry recently moved out of his old apartment. He now lives on the outskirts of the city where housing is a bit cheaper.

Correct answer: (b) on

i looked up in cambridge dictionary ,on / in the outskirts are both correct!
Hoamuahe
You can meet me at english-test.net

Things such as "lives in the outskirts of"... #2 (permalink) Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:21 am   Things such as "lives in the outskirts of"...

Hello Hoamuahe,

You (and the Cambridge Dictionary) are right. We also say things such as "lives in the outskirts of" sometimes. So, "in" is not incorrect. Both "in" and "on" are correct answers. Perhaps someone will repair this test.

However, you might be interested in knowing that we say "on the outskirts of" much more often.

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
When do we use "their" and they're in the sentence? | I don't think you are going to get your damage deposit back...
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
'On the microscope' vs 'under the microscope'How can I learn English grammar?Meaning of "over board"I'm here to inform you that I'm pressing charges against...What is "verbal diarrhea"?A good dictionary for slang idiomsPhrase: how much you owe each of your vendorsliability is not a debit or creditDo you have questions not about elephants?How do elephants drink water with trunks?What does the expression 'seeing forest from trees' mean?He lost interest in it vs. he lost his interestPresent continuous vs. present simple