Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

volume; mass; main part; most
offense
bulk
percent
coordinate
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Sentence: Who you want to speak to?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
This vs. that | Can we say "I'm replete", when I have had food and I am full.
listening exercisestell a friend
Sentence: Who you want to speak to? #1 (permalink) Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:56 am   Sentence: Who you want to speak to?

Hello guys,

Because I couldnt hear clearly the speaker sound on the phone, I just asked him like this:

Who you want to speak to?

Is that correct?

Thanks in advance.
Rosario
I'm here quite often ;-)

Sentence: Who you want to speak to? #2 (permalink) Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:41 am   Sentence: Who you want to speak to?

Rosario, Something tells me that the correct form is

"Who do you want to speak with?"
I'm here quite often ;-)

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Sentence: Who you want to speak to? #3 (permalink) Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:17 am   Sentence: Who you want to speak to?

Thank you Tomasito.
Rosario
I'm here quite often ;-)

Sentence: Who you want to speak to? #4 (permalink) Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:28 am   Sentence: Who you want to speak to?

Rosario, first of all Id like to mention that whoever was listening to you on the phone would have got the meaning(context) of your question.

Nonetheless Tomasito seems right with the auxiliary issue....."do......... want to......."

But, Im not sure whether ".........to speak with" is right. According the dict.leo.org dictionary ".........to speak to so" or "......talk to so" sounds more natural.

Thus youre question should read: "Who do you want to speak/talk to?"

Lets see what teachers advise us.

Regards
Michael

Sentence: Who you want to speak to? #5 (permalink) Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:11 am   Sentence: Who you want to speak to?

Hi,

Spot on, Michael!

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Sentence: Who you want to speak to? #6 (permalink) Mon Aug 17, 2009 14:05 pm   Sentence: Who you want to speak to?

Thanks Alan!.................................... I bow low.

Sentence: Who you want to speak to? #7 (permalink) Mon Aug 17, 2009 15:38 pm   Sentence: Who you want to speak to?

I'd say: "Whom would you like to speak to?"
SkiIucK
I'm here quite often ;-)

Sentence: Who you want to speak to? #8 (permalink) Mon Aug 17, 2009 18:37 pm   Sentence: Who you want to speak to?

SkiIucK wrote:
I'd say: "Whom would you like to speak to?"

Skiluck, being aware that Alan might replace me from the spotlight Id say in the formal English "whom" is correct but if you used it the correct saying were:

"To whom do you want to talk?"

Whats more: Im reported that if you heard this question youre connected to Buckingham Palace. :shock:

Im eager to learn more about this issue.

Michael

Sentence: Who you want to speak to? #9 (permalink) Mon Aug 17, 2009 19:16 pm   Sentence: Who you want to speak to?

I just like the sounding of it. "To whom" dings awkward to my non-native ear. I prefer the preposition being placed at the back.
SkiIucK
I'm here quite often ;-)

Sentence: Who you want to speak to? #10 (permalink) Mon Aug 17, 2009 19:24 pm   Sentence: Who you want to speak to?

THANKS ALL I HAVE LEARNT SOMETHING HERE...
Reyas91
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Sentence: Who you want to speak to? #11 (permalink) Mon Aug 17, 2009 23:01 pm   Sentence: Who you want to speak to?

Hi Michael,

You've scored again!

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Sentence: Who you want to speak to? #12 (permalink) Tue Aug 18, 2009 0:52 am   Sentence: Who you want to speak to?

Hello Alan and all friends,

Thanks for your help, I have already learned from your explanation.

Regards
Rosario
I'm here quite often ;-)

Sentence: Who you want to speak to? #13 (permalink) Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:21 am   Sentence: Who you want to speak to?

Thanks a lot Michael.
Rosario
I'm here quite often ;-)

This vs. that | Can we say "I'm replete", when I have had food and I am full.
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Pronunciation about 'a': pronounced as EI but sometimes as ADifference between 'laxed' and 'relaxed'"On my mind" or "in my mind"?Passive or active? (Bidding for the projects is expected to start in September)Sentence: It is the great multiplication of the productions of all the differentCan you give me a special course about time and questions about it?Sentence: Obesity is a serious problem in the industrialized world, both with...Difference between parking place and parking lot?I wrote him a letter explaining the reasons. vs ...the reasons to him.At first / FirstWhen we use the linking words for example: and, but, luckily, actually etc...?Ms/Miss/Mrs/Mr Please delete as applicable.Difference between "Proposal" and "Engagement"