to accumulate; to gather; to collect; to assemble
budge
aggregate
expire
precede

What is the meaning of "get rid off"?

using pronoun or not | Names (middle, first and last name)
What is the meaning of "get rid off"? #1 (permalink) Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:37 am   What is the meaning of "get rid off"?

What is the meaning of " get rid off"?
Nasimsuperb

What is the meaning of " get rid off"? #2 (permalink) Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:05 am   What is the meaning of " get rid off"?

"Get rid Off" means: Throwing something away; discarding something.
i.e. I would tell you to "get rid off" that fruit, it smells or (2) you need to discard the fruit, it smells. (3) Make sure you "get rid off" that suit, it's too old.
Does it makes sense now? Please let know.
Joycelyn
Jbaddoo

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
What is the meaning of " get rid off"? #3 (permalink) Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:07 am   What is the meaning of " get rid off"?

You "get rid of" something you don't need anymore. Also, I believe it's "get rid of" and not "get rid off".
Jbaddoo

What is the meaning of " get rid off"? #4 (permalink) Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:19 am   What is the meaning of " get rid off"?

Hi;
that's not get rid off,actually that's get rid of and it means be free of something.for example when you say: "I wanna get rid of my cat" ,this means your cat botters you and you dont want it anymore.
best wishes/Honey
Haniyeh

What is the meaning of " get rid off"? #5 (permalink) Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:24 am   What is the meaning of " get rid off"?

hi Jbaddoo
In my idea get rid of sth doesnt mean throwing sth away,in some situations when you wanna get rid of sth you cant throw it away.
Haniyeh

What is the meaning of " get rid off"? #6 (permalink) Sat Aug 22, 2009 16:40 pm   What is the meaning of " get rid off"?

Hi Honey,

You can get rid of something by giving that thing away. Like in the case of your cat.
Yes, you are somewhat right. Please know that you can also discard something by "getting rid of" it.

Mr. Torsten, can you please help explain to us better?

Thank you,
Joycelyn
Jbaddoo

What is the meaning of " get rid off"? #7 (permalink) Sat Aug 22, 2009 17:01 pm   What is the meaning of " get rid off"?

Yes Joycelyn,

When you get rid of something you throw it away or discard it. If you get rid of an employee you fire them.

TOEFL listening lectures: A university lecture by a professor of Physics

What is the meaning of " get rid off"? #8 (permalink) Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:40 am   What is the meaning of " get rid off"?

Torsten wrote:
When you get rid of something you throw it away or discard it.
Typo alert! You need to get rid of one F there, Torsten. :wink:

The title of the thread and the original thread question contain the same typo. Joycelyn and Honey have noticed this as well.
(Unfortunately, most spell checkers don't catch this sort of error.)

_____________________
“You can't spell brothers without at the same time spelling others.”
Esl_Expert

Location: Rhode Island, USA

American slang phrase "cheese it"scenery / scenes / landscape / landscapes?Collective Nouns in a sentencePhrase: you can do your little number on themI'm no orator, as Brutus is.'half an hour' versus 'a half an hour'Grammar question: Usage of hear, laugh, takeIdiom: Go climb a treeIdioms: Lay an egg, Go cold turkeyExpression: If buyer wants the order to be activeThis wapsite is designed specially for your mobile phoneWhat does "I dos" phrase mean in the following two articles?Sentence: It was then the church bells began to ring, telling brides-to-be...