to make a summary; to give a report; to inform; to instruct somebody
fulfill
brief
lecture
thread

Less people or fewer people?

Simple present-stir; beat | An adjective or a noun?
Less people or fewer people? #1 (permalink) Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:32 pm   Less people or fewer people?

Hi I recently have had a discussion with a friend of mine. He insists that it is correct to say less people and I hear this often. However, I remember my teacher told me that it has to be fewer people because people is countable. He says I have to use less before uncountable nouns and fewer before countable nouns. But my friend is a native speaker and a well educated one too. So, maybe less people is now also acceptable in modern English?
Englishfan

Location: Canada since 2004

Fewer/less #2 (permalink) Sat Sep 10, 2005 14:24 pm   Fewer/less

Hi englishfan,

Life is difficult, isn't it. You are quite right. The rule is fewer with countable and less with uncountable but again more and more you hear less with countable nouns. They are both in the comparative form ie little/less few/fewer. Although in informal English less is now used as in your quotation less people. The funny thing is that no one would use them in the positive form in that way. For example if you said: Little people showed interest in the festival, instead of: Few people showed interest in the festival, you would be regarded as strange.

_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Please look at this sentence: Would it have worked?Face and be faced withMighten shookWhen push comes to shoveA job in vacation ownership?Present perfect or other tenseWhat does "Betcha" mean?It gets the short shriftAttribute something as?Sleep your wayWrest and rest?Difference between finally and eventually?What does expression mean: "comeback kid"?