Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

appointment; proposal of a candidate (for an office or an honor)
nomination
central
due
development
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Idiom: 'have one's nose in a book'

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Difference between develop and build | use Much instead of Many
listening exercisestell a friend
Idiom: 'have one's nose in a book' #1 (permalink) Sat Sep 10, 2005 22:40 pm   Idiom: 'have one's nose in a book'

Test No. express/inter-4 "Picking you up", question 6

He's always got his nose in a book.

(a) hiding
(b) reading
(c) studying
(d) looking

Test No. express/inter-4 "Picking you up", answer 6

He's always reading.

Correct answer: (b) reading

i want an explanation for this one and the usage and meaning

Idiom: 'have one's nose in a book' #2 (permalink) Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:19 pm   Idiom: 'have one's nose in a book'

The idiomatic phrase to have one's nose in a book means to be closely reading the book.

There is at least one other lexically-related idiom: to have one's nose in another's business / affairs /etc means to be inappropriately preoccupied with another's business, etc.

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Idiom: 'have one's nose in a book' #3 (permalink) Sun Sep 11, 2005 13:11 pm   Idiom: 'have one's nose in a book'

Hi,

Have your nose in a book is often used to describe someone who is always reading and at the same time is absorbed in the activity. You might like to look at another exercise I've done on idioms using other parts of the body:

Expressions, Intermediate Level # 1

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Difference between develop and build | use Much instead of Many
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
What does this phrase mean: one fine day? Does it mean "in the end"?I'm really in two minds about itWhatsoever vs. howsoever"go before me" versus "go by me"Make an appointment vs. take an appointmentLived up to its reputation'in order to' + infinitiveThe conversation came to an abrupt endSentence meaningDifference between stay and liveIdiom: 'in one piece'Phrasal verb: 'take part'Exertion is countable