to make familiar; to present someone; to introduce someone
acquaint
downsize
should
determine

Saffron or turmeric

It made me happy or it made me feel happy | What is the specific word for buying vegetables in daily routine?
Saffron or turmeric #1 (permalink) Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:01 am   Saffron or turmeric

Hello everybody,

Please tell me which one is more appropriate word for asking seller when in the market, “SAFFRON” or “TURMERIC”?

Please give the differences.

Thanks in advance.
Rosario

Saffron or turmeric #2 (permalink) Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:24 am   Saffron or turmeric

It depends on what your recipe calls for: they are different spices from two different families of plants.

Saffron
Crocus sativus
Family: Iridaceae

Saffron is the three stigmas of the saffron crocus. Its colour is a bright orange-red, and in high quality saffron this is uniform. Saffron bearing white streaks or light patches is inferior and when light specks appear in its powdered form it suggests adulteration.

Turmeric
Curcuma domestica
Family: Zingiberaceae

Turmeric is the rhizome or underground stem of a ginger-like plant. It is usually available ground, as a bright yellow, fine powder.
_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Saffron or turmeric #3 (permalink) Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:28 am   Saffron or turmeric

Hello Mr.Micawber,

Thank you very much for the answer.
Rosario

Saffron or turmeric #4 (permalink) Wed Sep 02, 2009 13:32 pm   Saffron or turmeric

Rosario wrote:
Hello everybody,

Please give the differences.

Thanks in advance.

I concur with Mister Micawber. It depends on your recipe. SAFFRON and TURMERIC are totally two different things in cooking world except colour which is kind of similar. Turmeric has bitter taste and use mainly in curries whereas Saffron is mainly used in desserts for its sweet taste and aroma. When it comes to price, you'll be amazed to know how expensive saffron can be. It would set you back around $9-$15 for a small potion for single use. So I suggest you read the recipe carefully before you use turmeric as a substitute.
Bulone

Saffron or turmeric #5 (permalink) Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:06 am   Saffron or turmeric

Thanks a lot Bulone and Mr.Micawber,

I understand now, before it I was confused because I searched the word with local dictionary (local dictionary – English) and written 2 words, saffron and turmeric. So, I felt confuse which one is more appropriate.

Yours explanation is very useful.
Rosario

Word order: Whis is your pen? vs Which pen is yours?Everybody holds hands. vs Everybody hold hands.NOT stated or implied?How to use words Yesterday, TomorrowSentence "But I living, living me behind"The vs. a: She is one of the/a small but growing number of people who bike to..."when you have finished" vs "when you finish"As in previous year or like previous year.Grammar: passive voiceDifference between "at lunch" or "for lunch"Help with articles needed: Are degradation, speed, rehabilitation uncountable?Meaning of "goofed off"What is the meaning of "last but not least"?