unwilling to be pacified or appeased; impossible to pacify; inexorable
jaunty
implacable
protuberant
effete

TOEFL® essay: The satisfaction of life

A person you know is planning to move to your town or city... | TOEFL® essay: With the help of technology, students nowadays can learn more...
TOEFL essay: The satisfaction of life #1 (permalink) Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:47 am   TOEFL essay: The satisfaction of life

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? People are never satisfied with what they have; they always want something more and something different. Use specific reasons to support your answer.

Is a person born greedy? Why People always try to have something more? Apparently, these questions bring up a controversial topic that I was discussing with some friends of mine the other day. You do not have to have what people have to be satisfied. Naturally, this is a misconception about satisfaction. It might make you jealous or envious, when you compare yourself with the other people. From time to time, you meet people who are unfulfilled, and dissatisfied in uncontrollable circumstances throughout the life. It is my invincible belief that in these cases, in particular, the solution lies in contentment. Nevertheless, Contentment is not laziness or complacency. Moreover, I believe that there is clearly no room for complacency if you want a lot more ideal and colorful life.

As time goes by, when a baby grows up, his or her expectation will gradually grows too. Subsequently, other requirements will be added to the basic necessities of life. Therefore, people want something more and more, ever since they are born.

In addition, it is undoubtedly clear that nobody wants to wear a garment all the time because it will be unfashionable or boring after a while. We want accommodations that are more convenient, we change our cars and accessories. Soon after we buy a color TV set to replace the black and white one, we do wish to have an improved color TV set. It is just like man's temptation for money, which can never stop. All of these are in demand for more comfortable lifestyle.

On the other hand, our desire for up-to-date equipment, facilities, and technology has shown we always want something more. This kind of dissatisfaction leads to more invention and developments in science and technology. As far as I am aware, from psychologists’ point of view, it is the human nature to seek more and something different. Without it, we could not have modern society. In other words, “Nothing crave, nothing have”.

Taking the above-mentioned instances and reasons into consideration verifies that people are always unsatisfied and they want something more and something different. I strongly believe that people will never ever be fully satisfied

TOEFL listening lectures: A lecture from a social science class
_________________
Who dares to teach must never cease to learn. -John Cotton Dana
Richard

Location: Malaysia (at present)

TOEFL essay: The satisfaction of life #2 (permalink) Wed Sep 02, 2009 20:06 pm   TOEFL essay: The satisfaction of life

I think your essay is really good. You make the point and your main ideas are clear.
Are you taking the TOEFL test?
_________________
Yamilet
Yamilet

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemHave you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
TOEFL essay: The satisfaction of life #3 (permalink) Thu Sep 10, 2009 21:29 pm   TOEFL essay: The satisfaction of life

Hi Yamilet.
your comments always inspire confidence in me.
your essays , which I have read before are OK.
_________________
Richard

Location: Malaysia (at present)

TOEFL essay: The satisfaction of life #4 (permalink) Fri Sep 11, 2009 19:12 pm   TOEFL essay: The satisfaction of life

Is a person (Are people)born greedy? Why (do) (p)eople always (try to have) = (want) something more?
Apparently, these questions bring up a controversial topic that I was discussing with some friends of mine the other day.
You do not have to have what (other) people have to be satisfied.
Naturally, this is a misconception about satisfaction.
It might make you jealous or envious when you compare yourself with the other people. From time to time, you meet people who are unfulfilled, and dissatisfied in uncontrollable circumstances throughout the(ir) li(ves).

It is my invincible belief that in these cases, in particular, the solution lies in contentment.
Nevertheless, (c)ontentment is not, (as often presumed) laziness or complacency.
Moreover, I believe that there is clearly no room for complacency if you want a more ideal and colorful life.
As a baby grows , his or her expectation(s) will gradually grow too.
Subsequently, other requirements will be added to the basic necessities of (its) life. Therefore, people want more and more, ever since they are born.

In addition, it is undoubtedly clear that nobody wants to wear (the same) garment all the time because it will be unfashionable or boring after a while.

We want accommodations that are more convenient.
(W)e (frequently) change our cars and accessories.
Soon after we buy a color TV set to replace the (out-dated) black and white one, we wish to have an improved color TV set.
It is just like man's temptation for money, which can never stop.
All of these are in demand for (a) more comfortable lifestyle.

On the other hand, our desire for up-to-date equipment, facilities, and technology has shown we always want something more.
This kind of dissatisfaction leads to more invention(s) and developments in science and technology.
As far as I am aware, from (the) psychologists’ point of view, it is human nature to seek more and something different.
Without (this craving), we could not have (a) modern society.
In other words, “Nothing crave, nothing have”.

Taking the above-mentioned instances and reasons into consideration, (it) verifies that people are always unsatisfied, and they (shall/will always) want something more and something different.

I strongly believe that people will never ever be fully satisfied.

Good essay Richard.
_________________

TOEFL essay: The satisfaction of life #5 (permalink) Fri Sep 11, 2009 23:49 pm   TOEFL essay: The satisfaction of life

Kitosdad wrote:

I know that your sentence "Are people born greedy?" is more beautiful that mine. but "Is a person born greedy?"= Is it wrong?
why do people always (try to have=want is better? or you meant my own sentence is completely wrong?) something more?
Kitosdad wrote:
Subsequently, other requirements will be added to the basic necessities of (its) life
.
"Subsequently, other requirements will be added to the basic necessities of our life."is it wrong?
Kitosdad wrote:
Taking the above-mentioned instances and reasons into consideration, (it) verifies that

"Taking the above-mentioned instances and reasons into consideration verifies that" is wrong?
----------
Thanks a million Kitos.
Nobody had mentioned my mistakes before you did.
I have to be patient in order to be what I want to be indeed.
I was wondering If you'd mind doing it later for my next essays.
_________________
Richard

Location: Malaysia (at present)

TOEFL essay: The satisfaction of life #6 (permalink) Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:40 am   TOEFL essay: The satisfaction of life

Kitosdad wrote:

Richard, you skip from a person, to people, in your opening sentences, therefore I felt a slight alteration of one or the other was called for.
Is a person born greedy, is not wrong, providing we continue to talk about an individual entity.
"Try to have"=desire=want. Offering an alternative that you might choose to use.

Kitosdad wrote:
.

Richard, you were speaking about a child/baby. "It" becomes the subject of the sentence, and should continue to be referred to in this manner.

Kitosdad wrote:

No, it is acceptable. ("What verifies? "It" verifies.)

With pleasure Richard. :) :) Kitos.

ps. I am not a teacher. Please ignore my suggestions whenever you feel the need to.
_________________

TOEFL essay: The satisfaction of life #7 (permalink) Sat Sep 12, 2009 16:57 pm   TOEFL essay: The satisfaction of life

Hi.
I like your suggestions.
many thanks.
_________________
Richard

Location: Malaysia (at present)

TOEFL essay: The satisfaction of life #8 (permalink) Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:01 am   TOEFL essay: The satisfaction of life

yes you are right, but no one was born with that.
I think when stopping watching what others have, everyone will be satisfy of what he has..

I`ll give a small example: I has lived in KSA & was great life really, especialy all my needs i can get it. Now I live in gaza in palestine ( area of war ) & i name it " the country of nothing "
yes sometimes I hope to leave it, but return & change my mind when I think about the country & it`s my home so why to leave it, it`s not important for me to satisfy myself, but it`s important for me to live within it & with my family in our land.

We were born & had nothing in our hands, so every thing in this life can be acquiered with time. We can live without any accessories :)

Thanks alot

Your`s senicerely:
Abeer
P.t.abeer

TOEFL essay: The satisfaction of life #9 (permalink) Mon Sep 28, 2009 20:06 pm   TOEFL essay: The satisfaction of life

Thank you for passing a comment.
_________________
Richard

Location: Malaysia (at present)

The TOEFL® topic under discussion is about qualities of good supervisor or bossChildren should help with task around the house from a very young age.Some college and universities allow student to declare their majors only afterEvery generation of people is different in important ways. How is your generationTOEFL® essay: Some people believe that success in life comes by taking chancesTOEFL® essay: One should never judge person by external apperancesTOEFL® essay: Qualities of room mateTOEFL® essay: Not every learning comes from bookShould governments spend more money on improving roads and highways,...TOEFL® essay: Should government spend more money on improving roads and highwaysTOEFL® essay writing structureGovernment should pay more attention to health care issues more thanThe value of any nation's success should be measured more by its scientific...