resistant; invulnerable; impervious; sealed; durable
payable
commercial
duplicate
proof

Phrase "beat the purpose"

Covering phrase? We're dealing with this issue, The situation is under control | Who are you vs Who you are?
Phrase "beat the purpose" #1 (permalink) Wed Sep 02, 2009 13:34 pm   Phrase "beat the purpose"

Would it be correct to say -

"Why are you heating ice-cream on the stove. It beats the whole idea/purpose of serving cold."
Bulone

Phrase "beat the purpose" #2 (permalink) Fri Sep 04, 2009 0:34 am   Phrase "beat the purpose"

The phrase is 'defeat the purpose'. This means it is counterproductive or it is not directed toward the stated goal.
_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Phrase "beat the purpose" #3 (permalink) Fri Sep 04, 2009 14:01 pm   Phrase "beat the purpose"

Thanks :)
Bulone

peak and trough?We often change the tense while changing direct speech to indirect speech?Gerund vs. infinitiveActive "Thinking"Verb phrase: Difference between "try on" and "try out"Meaning of "...by wire"Meaning of this phrasal verb "popped into"Sentence: The European tire market, which has doubled in size ... the last decade'There is' vs 'is': Near my house is a park where there are some trees which...British Men's Champ? - Capital LettersNo sooner...Sentence "But I living, living me behind"by; elimination vs. eliminating; come about