Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

large closed vehicle used for transporting goods or people
preventive
van
increase
matter
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

am vs. do (I am not agree. vs I don't agree.)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
slightly liable | The fans cheered as the team ... vs. The fans cheered when the team ...
listening exercisestell a friend
am vs. do (I am not agree. vs I don't agree.) #1 (permalink) Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:47 am   am vs. do (I am not agree. vs I don't agree.)

Hi, teachers! :) Could you help me on this?

(wrong) I am not agree.
(right) I don't agree.

When do we use "am" and when do we use "do"?

Thanks!

:D
Querrymary

am vs. do (I am not agree. vs I don't agree.) #2 (permalink) Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:53 am   am vs. do (I am not agree. vs I don't agree.)

Hi,

We use 'do' in question and negative sentences as in: Do you understand? I do not understand. Therefore I don't (do not) agree is the correct form. 'Am' is used for the first person of the Present tense of the verb 'to be'. If you use the verb 'to be' on its own, it describes a state or condition as in: I am happy/I am not happy.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
am vs. do (I am not agree. vs I don't agree.) #3 (permalink) Thu Apr 11, 2013 16:51 pm   am vs. do (I am not agree. vs I don't agree.)

why "i am not angry with you" is right and "i am not agree with you" is wrong?
ahuja.tushti@gmail.com

am vs. do (I am not agree. vs I don't agree.) #4 (permalink) Thu Apr 11, 2013 21:31 pm   am vs. do (I am not agree. vs I don't agree.)

Because 'angry' is an adjective while 'agree' is a verb.

TOEIC listening, talks: Young woman leaves voice mail asking her friend to call back
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

am vs. do (I am not agree. vs I don't agree.) #5 (permalink) Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:16 am   am vs. do (I am not agree. vs I don't agree.)

ahuja.tushti@gmail.com wrote:

If you still want to use the word 'agree', you will have to change it into an adjective and rewrite the sentence like this:

I am not agreeable with you.
I'm a Communicator ;-)

am vs. do (I am not agree. vs I don't agree.) #6 (permalink) Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:46 am   am vs. do (I am not agree. vs I don't agree.)

The adjective 'agreeable' has the sense of 'pleasant' 'pleasing' and is used as 'agreeable climate/agreeable manners/agreeable personality'. You can't say:
Quote:
I am not agreeable with you
. The only possibility in that sort of context would be: I am not agreeable to you. That would be an odd thing to say about yourself. What is needed is: I am not in agreement with you.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

am vs. do (I am not agree. vs I don't agree.) #7 (permalink) Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:48 am   am vs. do (I am not agree. vs I don't agree.)

ahuja.tushti@gmail.com wrote:

Agree modifies "I", except that "agree" is a verb. You can use the adjective "agreed" instead.

I am not agreed with you. Except that negotiating agreement requires two parties; it's not something one party can do. The sentence really should be "We are not agreed."

If you were discussing a fixed position (such as a printed document), with no negotiation possible, "I disagree."
SteveThomas
I'm here quite often ;-)

am vs. do (I am not agree. vs I don't agree.) #8 (permalink) Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:55 am   am vs. do (I am not agree. vs I don't agree.)

SteveThomas wrote:
I am not agreed with you. Except that negotiating agreement requires two parties; it's not something one party can do. The sentence really should be "We are not agreed."

You'll want to use the active voice with "agree" in both your sentences, in other words:

We do not agree
I do not agree with you.

I don't think "We are not agreed" sounds natural at all, unless it is used in some very specific context.
I'm a Communicator ;-)

am vs. do (I am not agree. vs I don't agree.) #9 (permalink) Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:01 am   am vs. do (I am not agree. vs I don't agree.)

I would suggest that it is possible to use this construction in a positive way, particularly as a question. You would ask after a long discussion when a conclusion has been reached: Are we all agreed (on that)?

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

am vs. do (I am not agree. vs I don't agree.) #10 (permalink) Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:04 am   am vs. do (I am not agree. vs I don't agree.)

I see,
Thanks for the explanation, Alan!
I'm a Communicator ;-)

am vs. do (I am not agree. vs I don't agree.) #11 (permalink) Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:47 am   am vs. do (I am not agree. vs I don't agree.)

Alan wrote:
The adjective 'agreeable' has the sense of 'pleasant' 'pleasing' and is used as 'agreeable climate/agreeable manners/agreeable personality'. You can't say: I am not agreeable with you. The only possibility in that sort of context would be: I am not agreeable to you. That would be an odd thing to say about yourself. What is needed is: I am not in agreement with you. Alan

1. What is needed is: I am not in agreement with you. (Yes, I fully agree with you)

2. The adjective 'agreeable' has the sense of 'pleasant' 'pleasing' and is used as 'agreeable climate/agreeable manners/agreeable personality'. (I disagree with you, for it also has this meaning : ready to agree).

3. We use to as in I agree to your proposal, and with as in I agree with you. (I'd like to know the correct position from you)

[Please bear in mind that these observations come from the practical experience of a non-native user of English)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

am vs. do (I am not agree. vs I don't agree.) #12 (permalink) Fri Apr 12, 2013 15:58 pm   am vs. do (I am not agree. vs I don't agree.)

Alternatively, you could say 'Savvy?' as Captain Jack Sparrow does ;-) (Just kidding).

TOEIC listening, talks: Stadium announcement asking fans to remove car from emergency exit
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

am vs. do (I am not agree. vs I don't agree.) #13 (permalink) Fri Apr 12, 2013 16:40 pm   am vs. do (I am not agree. vs I don't agree.)

I could not get you, Torsten. Please clarify what you mean.
I'm a Communicator ;-)

am vs. do (I am not agree. vs I don't agree.) #14 (permalink) Fri Apr 12, 2013 16:57 pm   am vs. do (I am not agree. vs I don't agree.)

Well, Captain Jack Sparrow is the main character in the film series Pirates of the Caribbean and he often says 'Savvy?' which is supposed to mean 'do you get it?' and to me it also implies 'do you agree?'

TOEIC listening, talks: Radio presenter announces latest news including the President's visit
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

am vs. do (I am not agree. vs I don't agree.) #15 (permalink) Fri Apr 12, 2013 17:09 pm   am vs. do (I am not agree. vs I don't agree.)

How is it relevant here, in our discussion?
I'm a Communicator ;-)

slightly liable | The fans cheered as the team ... vs. The fans cheered when the team ...
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
She did what?!high lineCould I have some pasta instead? vs. Could I rather have some pasta?We'll go to Nottingham and you can visit the castle V you'll be able to visit ...I paid for most of itwhat is the difference beetwen seat and roomuse someone as a foilInform toThe last one who was caught was a bank robber.do not rememberoffsideAccommodation!any correct ones?