method; way; medium; resources; funds
local
means
field
reception

What does this idiom mean: "Give me a break"?

Could you please review my message and amend it? | 'The procedure is applied' vs 'the procedure applies'
What does this idiom mean: "Give me a break"? #1 (permalink) Sat Sep 17, 2005 21:49 pm   What does this idiom mean: "Give me a break"?

Hi everybody,

I would like to know what exactly "give me a break" means? Could you give me an example? Thank you all.
Dollies

Give me a break #2 (permalink) Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:43 pm   Give me a break

It's like somebody's telling you something you don't agree/believe/think is true or bragging usually in an humorous manner... and you say "Man...pfft,., give me a major break now".

"Hey please, when you're going to give me a break?"

"Hey bro, take these suit-cases to the upstairs for me?"
"Gimme a break, their too heavy, carry your own."
me

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
What does this idiom mean: "Give me a break"? #3 (permalink) Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:52 am   What does this idiom mean: "Give me a break"?

Just out of curiosity (I know there is a risk of 'curiosity killed the cat' :) ), I would like to know if the break in give me a break refers to rest or a special favor (such as tax break)? Thank you.

haihao
Haihao

Location: Japan

What does this idiom mean: "Give me a break"? #4 (permalink) Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:07 am   What does this idiom mean: "Give me a break"?

Hi Haihao

That's an interesting question. I think there's an element of both meanings in the expression "Give me a break" since a rewording might be something like this:
"Do me a huge favor and stop talking about something so unbelievable."

I've also heard people say "Give it a break". This might be said to someone if you're tired of hearing them talk about something repeatedly and want them to stop. Another version of this expression is "Give it a rest".

These are informal expressions and I'm not sure how often they might also be used in Britain.

_________________

What does this idiom mean: "Give me a break"? #5 (permalink) Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:34 am   What does this idiom mean: "Give me a break"?

Hi Haihao,

You're right. The idea of 'break' has often the suggestion of pause or gap creating some kind of relief. The expressions: Give it a break/Give me a break/Give it a rest all point the same way towards the idea of: 'Stop I've had enough' here in Britain.

_________________

What does this idiom mean: "Give me a break"? #6 (permalink) Tue Jan 23, 2007 21:50 pm   What does this idiom mean: "Give me a break"?

Me,

The following are some revised editions of your examples:

"Man...pfft,., give me a break." ("major break" is rare... and "now" is unnecessary)

"Hey please, when are you going to give me a break?" ("you're" would be used in a declarative sentence)

"Hey bro, take these suitcases upstairs for me." (not a question, but declarative)
"Gimme a break, they're too heavy. Carry your own." (they're = they are)
_________________
Billie Jean is not my lover. Hee.
Prezbucky

Location: Nashville, TN (USA)

A good sample sentence with the verb 'abash'?Plural forms of Latin nouns?In this town it is considered heresy to want parking spaces that have meters?Expression: 'I am denied a sandwich by him'Exultation was evident by the partying and revelry?Phrasal verbs: brush up, clean up, scrub upmeaning of "remain at a stalement"meaning of "break it down"Warm weather generated adverse conditions?Pronunciation: decipher / cipherSome idioms including 'down'Who knows the word Bobber?Which sentence is correct: If I knew where he worked/works