strange; unfamiliar; from or of another place; pertaining to dealings with another country
suspect
loyal
overhead
foreign

CAE preparation

English teacher in Paris - Cours particuliers d'anglais Paris | Style in English
CAE preparation #1 (permalink) Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:43 am   CAE preparation

Hi everybody,

I'd like to prepare for Cambridge exams CAE and I was wondering how long I should study before the exam starts. Btw,I am going to study by myself at home and I will use this book: CAE testbuilder(I heard this book is really good).Could you just tell me approximately-weeks,months?
And another question,how can I test my english level?
Thank you all
Dolly

How to prepare for CAE #2 (permalink) Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:06 am   How to prepare for CAE

Hi Dolly,

It's difficult to say how long you will have to study before you can pass CAE as this depends on your command of the English language. To test your level you can take a TOEIC test and if your score is above 750 you will probably pass CAE.

TOEIC listening, question-response: What did you learn at the seminar last night?

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
CAE preparation #3 (permalink) Fri Sep 23, 2005 15:04 pm   CAE preparation

Hi Dolly,

There are lots of free tests available on the web. Here are some links (although I am note sure if I am allowed to post urls here):

http://www.pass-english-exams.com/en/courses/test.php

http://www.mba-center.net/?site=www&section=testprep&page=diagnostictesting

http://secure.vec.bc.ca/vec/online-test.cfm

I am myself preparing the CAE for the December session. I started a couple of weeks ago by doing grammar and vocabulary exercises on the web: the ones from here, but also from another website called nonstopenglish. I have borrowed a grammar book from the library and am revising all the basics of the English grammar (can't be bad). You can also do the prep online with floe-joe, where they have good exercises as well, particularly for the writing test. They also have a forum for students where you can get some info and chat with other CAE students.

I haven't bought any book yet because I don't have any money just now but have noted a couple of self study books I intend to acquire as soon as I can.

You also have to think about how much time you can spend. I have given myself 2 hours every 2 days when I come back from work and about 3 hours at the weekend. I try to do study as much as can, during my lunch break at work or on the bus...). I also do the SAT prep exercises in here ton improve my vocabulary. And of course, I read a lot, paying a bit more attention to the spelling, I watch telly, listen to the radio and speak as much as possible.

Hope this helps!

Good luck

N
Nel

Location: Scotland

CAE preparation #4 (permalink) Fri Sep 23, 2005 15:07 pm   CAE preparation

ooops I just noticed quite a few typos in my post - My apologies!
Nel

Location: Scotland

CAE preparation #5 (permalink) Sat Oct 15, 2005 23:35 pm   CAE preparation

dolly wrote:
Hi everybody,

Thank you all

First of all it really depends on your knowledge of English you have at the moment. Are you close to CAE-level or is there still a lot to improve to pass that exam for example.

I am myself studying for the CAE at the moment as well and my plans are to take (and pass :wink: ) it next June - but if it takes more time to prepare properly then I'll put it back to December (there's no need for me to rush, I don't need the cert for a special purpose). Plus I attend a course at an adult education centre - as I only had six years of English at school (usually for this level you have studied English for nine years - at least here in Germany).

Apart from that I try to speak English as much as possible, listen to English radio, reading English books yada yada yada.

I'd suggest to try the sample papers offered by Cambridge
http://www.cambridgeesol.org/support/handbooks.htm - at least for the papers "reading" and "English in use" you can check how good your English really is (I reached about 70%).

Good luck

Coaching centers for MBA #6 (permalink) Sat Aug 09, 2008 17:28 pm   Coaching centers for MBA

This link contains list of Coaching centers providing coaching for SAT, GMAT, TOEFL, CAT, XAT, GMAT, FMS.
huntindiaonline.com/list/education_career/coaching_centers/management
Khushbu_Agg

Iraqi insurgents and English1st International English Language School in Rabat / TemaraHot Teaching Positions in ChinaSqueezing the water balloonNew expression: Peace enforcement policy in Georgiaspeaking nationalitiesWell did you ever!Nutkis SpilkusMemories and the OlympicsESL - Free Material for TeachersSamaritan wanted!What makes a good leader?My heartiest congratulations to you, Amy!