loud and noisy; demanding
clamorous
insidious
laconic
felicitous

Advertisement is a waste of time and money because customers know what they need

TOEFLŪ speaking section 1 | TOEFLŪ essay: Do you agree or disagree? -- Progress is always a good thing.
Advertisement is a waste of time and money because customers know what they need #1 (permalink) Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:02 am   Advertisement is a waste of time and money because customers know what they need

I took the test in 20th,9. unluckily, i didn't find this forum until 18th,9... in case of a poor grade, maybe i should continue preparation...
this is my first time to show my essay here. there must be a huge number of mistakes or unclear expressions, so please, help me to kick them out, would you? very thankful for that!!

advertisement is a waste of time and money because customers already know what they need.
it is not rare to see many people believing it is deceptive at the first sight of an advertisement that praise the products like tooth brush or digital camera. some people insist that this phenomenon indicate that advertisement is a waste of time and money and suggest enterprises should save the advertising fund to improve the quality of merchandise or service. this viewpoint is intensely opposed by those people who declare that majority of the advertisement on TV are impartial and credible. to my knowledge, advertisement actually benefit the corporation in their profit.
the main reason for my propensity to advertisement is that the customers know what they need but don't know which brand of the goods fits them best. watching the advertisement, they are likely to realize the character and special use of every brand of goods, as well as whether it meets the their unique requirement for the product. A story of mine come immediately to my mind. once I wanted a pair of slipper, but after entering the supermarket, I was shocked for there were thousands of brands of slippers. eventually, I chose LULU which was the only brand I’d ever seen on the television. according to a well known sociologist, and I paraphrase, without advertisement, consumers and merchants both lose something, which is to say that consumers lose the opportunity to obtain the one suit them most and merchants may lose their potential customers. naturally, it is significant to advertise for the firms. meanwhile a recent survey conducted by sina.com will make this point valid and convincible. the sales volume of a certain product doubles since its manufacturer advertise on a TV program.
for most of time consumers don't know their real requirement at all, so their needs to a certain kind of product is influenced greatly by the advertisements. for instance, my mother went shopping one day in order to buy some milk and vegetables, nevertheless she came back home with a pair of trousers...in her words, just because she ever saw it on a magazine. in addition, one of my classmates used to buy whatever he is interested in on EBAY.com for about 2 times a week. considering the enormous advantages for manufacturers, advertisement has the necessity to remain.
each coin, however, has its two sides. rare as the drawbacks of advertisement are, they do exist. some small companies completely rely on the boasting advertisement to attract consumers. in order to make the advertisement to be credible, they invite the celebrities, make special good effect, and even film to publicize their production. unfortunately, consumers are always wise enough to distinguish a fair publicity from one with exaggeration. Hence, those companies are bound to suffer the tremendous cost of advertising without benefiting from it.
to sum up, the merits of advertisement for corporations far outweigh its defects. thus, i strongly advocate that advertisement contributes to the amplification of the profit of enterprises and should be retained.

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between two students at their university cafeteria
Glorning

Location: Beijing, China

Advertisement is a waste of time and money because customers know what they n #2 (permalink) Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:44 am   Advertisement is a waste of time and money because customers know what they n

(A)dvertis(ing) is a waste of time and money because customers already know what they need.
(I)t is not rare to see many people believing it is deceptive at the first sight of an advertisement that praise(s) products like tooth brush(es) or digital camera(s).

(S)ome people insist that this phenomenon (demonstrates) that advertis(ing) is a waste of time and money and suggest(s) (that)enterprises should save the advertising fund to improve the quality of merchandise or service.
(T)his viewpoint is intensely opposed by those people who declare that (the)majority of the advertisement(s) on TV are impartial and credible.
(T)o my knowledge, advertisement(s) actually benefit the corporation in their profit.
(T)he main reason for my propensity to advertisement(s) is that the customers know what they need, but don't know which brand of the goods fits them best.

(W)atching the advertisement, they are likely to realize the character and special use of every brand of goods, as well as whether it meets the their unique requirement for the product.

A story of mine come(s) immediately to mind.
(O)nce I wanted a pair of slipper(s), but after entering the supermarket, I was shocked f(to see that) there were thousands of brands of slippers. (E)ventually, I chose LULU, which was the only brand I’d ever seen on the television. (A)ccording to a well known sociologist, and I paraphrase, without advertisement, consumers and merchants both lose something, which is to say that consumers lose the opportunity to obtain the one
(that) suit them most and merchants may lose their potential customers.

(N)aturally, it is significant to advertise for the firms. (M)eanwhile a recent survey conducted by sina.com will make this point valid and convincible.

(T)he sales volume of a certain product (usually) doubles since its manufacturer advertise(s) on a TV program.
(M)ost of time consumers don't know their real requirement at all, so their needs to a certain kind of product is influenced greatly by the advertisements.
(F)or instance, my mother went shopping one day in order to buy some milk and vegetables, nevertheless she came back home with a pair of trousers...in her words, just because she(had seen them in a) magazine.

(I)n addition, one of my classmates used to buy whatever he (was) interested in on EBAY.com (about twice) a week.
(C)onsidering the enormous advantages for manufacturers, advertis(ing) has the (potential to significantly increase their sales and profits.)

(E)ach coin, however, has two sides. (R)are as the drawbacks of advertisement(s) are, they do exist.

(S)ome small companies completely rely on the boasting advertisement to attract consumers.
(I)n order to make the advertisement to be credible, they invite (famous) celebrities, make special good effect(s), and even film(s) to publicize their product(s). (U)nfortunately (for them), consumers are always wise enough to distinguish fair publicity from one with exaggeration.
Hence, those companies are bound to suffer the tremendous cost of advertising without benefiting from it.
(T)o sum up, the merits of advertisement for corporations far outweigh its defects.
(T)hus, (I) strongly advocate that advertis(ing) contributes to the amplification of the profit of enterprises and should be retained.

Glorning, you really MUST learn to capitalise the first letter on each sentence, no matter how short that sentence may be.

_________________

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemHave you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Advertisement is a waste of time and money because customers know what they n #3 (permalink) Tue Sep 22, 2009 14:05 pm   Advertisement is a waste of time and money because customers know what they n

Thank you for your advice, I never noticed that...
Glorning

Location: Beijing, China

TOEFLŪ reading - how many can I get wrong yet still score 30 out of 30A zoo has no useful purpose.Some people prefer to spend their free time outdoors.Old and new friends which is more important?Some young adults want independence from their parents as soon as possible...Young people enjoy life better than old people.How much time does TOEFLŪ score take to arrive to the score recipient?High school should allow students to study the courses that students want to...TOEFLŪ essay: Do you think it's better to focus on one subject in college or...TOEFLŪ speaking taskRegarding Reading task on TOEFLŪ ibt (3 reading passages vs 5 reading passages)Watching movie is one of the best ways to learn foreign languages.Technology made man lazy. Agree or disagree?