to interpret; to explain the sense of; to analyze; to understand
alacrity
construe
genealogy
acumen

Some people believe that university students should be required to attend classes

TOEFLŪ essay: Nowadays, what is the role of a teacher? | Online TOEFLŪ grammar course
Some people believe that university students should be required to attend classes #1 (permalink) Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:52 am   Some people believe that university students should be required to attend classes

Some people believe that university students should be required to attend classes. Others believe that going to classes should be optional for students. Which point of view do you agree with? Use specific reasons and details to explain your answer.

It is obvious that the poor result obtained in universities today is due to the optional opportunity that has been given to students to choose whether to attend classes or not. I strongly refute the opionion that attending classes by university students should be optional. I will be ellaborating my opionion in the preceding paragraphs.

First and foremost, in the universities where attending classes is optional, students have chosen the option and have indouched in part time jobs than focusing on the studies they came to the university for. For example, in the city where I live, the most people like truck pushers, distributors of market products, book sellers just to name but a few are mostly university students. This has affected their studies a lot with reason being that most of the students going in for Re-sit examination are always those students who do not attend classes or those who attend classes but not regularly. So you see how this option can damage students success in the university.

Secondly, university is a level of education where a lot of research is required to be carried out by students in their specialised faculties. This requires that student should put in a lot of time in order to provide what is need of him or her and can only be achieved when the student attend classes regularly. Not attending classes in order to have a good mastery of the subject matter can greatly hinder students success in the university.

From the above judgements, one can conclude that students success in the university is based on having a good mastery of their specialty and putting in maximmun time to achieve this goal which can only be achieved by attending classes. So attending classes in the university should not be optional.

please, your commends and corrections are highly welcome as it will greatly help me to prepare for the TOEFL exam.

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between a student and her coach
_________________
Practice makes perfect.
Nzuahp

Location: New York

Some people believe that university students should be required to attend cla #2 (permalink) Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:33 pm   Some people believe that university students should be required to attend cla

It is obvious that the poor result(s) obtained in universities today (are) due to the "optional attendance" opportunity that has been given to students, (of being able) to choose whether to attend classes or not.
I strongly refute the opionion that attending classes by university students should be optional. I will be ellaborating my opionion in the (following) paragraphs.

First and foremost, in the universities where attending classes is optional, students have chosen the option and have indouched in part time jobs (rather) than focusing on the (subjects) they came to the university (to learn).

For example, in the city where I live, most people, like truck pushers, distributors of market products (and) book-sellers to name but a few, are mostly university students.

This has (had a marked affect) on their studies. Reason being, (is) that most of the students going in (to) resit (their) examination(s) are always those students who do not attend classes, or those who (do) attend classes, but not regularly.
So you see how this option can damage students (chances of) success in the university.

Secondly, university (provides) a (high) level of education, where a lot of research is required to be carried out by students in their specialised faculties.
This requires that student(s) should put in a lot of time in order to provide what is (required) of him or her, and can only be achieved when the student(s) attend classes regularly.
Not attending classes in order to have a good mastery of the subject matter, can greatly hinder students success in the university.

From the above judgements, one can conclude that students success in the university is based on having a good mastery of their specialty, and putting in maximum time to achieve this goal, which can only be achieved by attending classes.
So attending classes in the university should not be optional.

Nzuahp, ............. a well written essay. Good work.
_________________

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemStart exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Some people believe that university students should be required to attend classes #3 (permalink) Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:42 pm   Some people believe that university students should be required to attend classes

Kitosdad,

Thank you again for the corrections. I am very grateful for having like you.
_________________
Practice makes perfect.
Nzuahp

Location: New York

Some people believe that university students should be required to attend cla #4 (permalink) Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:19 am   Some people believe that university students should be required to attend cla

Hello Nzuahp; it seems that we are doing kind of the same essays :D I'm following barrons book; I think so do you!!! anyway... I've written the same essay; I'm going to post it here; is it Ok for you?ŋ? I just don't want to open a new topic about the same subject; by the way, very good essay you have written... congrats.

Can anyone correct my essay please? kitostad? :D :D thanks a lot
__________________________________________________________________
There are very different opinions about what a learning process, while going to the university, should be; some people think that it is just about learning technical topics regarding your career and that this simply could be achieved by having a little guidance from a professor, so why having such a huge university facilities?; I strongly disagree with this idea because from my point of view the learning process is not just a matter of going to the university but there are several other things that also have to be considered; attending to class let you gain a knowledge that you could not get if you did not attend to it; it also provides several social skills as you have to deal with professors, meet new students, give your opinion about certain things in a debate;

First of all, in some universities attending to class is sometimes mandatory, and it counts a percentage in your final score; I think this is a very effective way of persuading students to go to class; when I was in the university I could see that those professors who encouraged student to go to class by giving them some extra point at the end of the course, really had classes packed with students; this I think was good, because there were lot of debates. Those were the classes Iliked most

At the same time, by attending to a class you can get your professor's feedback about how you are doing, where you need to improve and so on; I think this is a quite important guidance that no one can miss; this is one of the things I most remember while going to the university; listening to a professor's lecture was much more than simply reading a book, even if you could find the same information in both; the way some professors teach student can not be replaced by a book.

Another very important reason, and that maybe has little to do with the learning process, is the fact that attending to a class let you build a vast social network that you can use in a future; this also provides you several social skills that can be very useful in your future professional career; interacting with your classmates, giving a speech in a debate, participating in teamwork activities, discussing with a professor about certain topics; trying to persuade people that your opinion is the best; all these are just some examples of social skills you can learn by attending to a class in the university.

to sum up, in my opinion nothing can substitute the other skills you can learn when you attend to a class; it is not only learning what your career is about;there are several other skills you have to learn if you want to guarantee yourself a successful career; in my opinion all these skills can only be found by attending to class.
Aitorzl

Location: Spain

Some people believe that university students should be required to attend classes #5 (permalink) Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:14 am   Some people believe that university students should be required to attend classes

You wrote very well on the subject. I fully agree and support your point of view. Nothing can be a substitute of class participation. The knowledge that imparts through face to face interaction and class participation is merely unparallel. During class participation you not only gain the first hand knowledge but also you interact with you classmates. You learn how the other students think about the same topic which is under consideration. How they prepare the topic and present. This gives you a sort of competition to thrive and compete.
Kxp1124

Some people believe that university students should be required to attend cla #6 (permalink) Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:18 am   Some people believe that university students should be required to attend cla

Kxp1124 wrote:

Thanks a lot Kxp1124... very kind of you :wink:

all the best

Aitor
Aitorzl

Location: Spain

TOEFLŪ essay: Not every learning comes from bookTOEFLŪ essay: Should government spend more money on improving roads and highwaysTOEFLŪ essay writing structureThe value of any nation's success should be measured more by its scientific...Countries should not isolate themselves from the world but instead engage otherAgree or disagree? The best way to travel is in a group led by a tour guide.Believe or not something about essay in TOEFLŪTOEFLŪ essay: Qualities of a good friendIn some countries, teenagers have jobs while they are still students.Seeking jobsTOEFLŪ reading - how many can I get wrong yet still score 30 out of 30A zoo has no useful purpose.Some people prefer to spend their free time outdoors.