arrogant; haughty; magnificent; impressive
whole
select
bonded
proud

Difference between to extend and to expand

Difference between persuade and encourage | Difference between fill up and fill out
Difference between to extend and to expand #1 (permalink) Sat Sep 24, 2005 20:50 pm   Difference between to extend and to expand

Test No. incompl/advan-16 "At the Shops", question 4

It started off as a small street corner shop over 30 years ago but it has now ......... into a massive department store.

(a) expanded
(b) extended
(c) explored
(d) enlarged

Test No. incompl/advan-16 "At the Shops", answer 4

It started off as a small street corner shop over 30 years ago but it has now expanded into a massive department store.

Correct answer: (a) expanded

It started off as a small street corner shop over 30 years ago but it has now extended into a massive department store.
_________________________

What is the difference between to extend and to expand? and when do we have to use them?
St?phanie

Difference between to extend and to expand #2 (permalink) Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:48 am   Difference between to extend and to expand

.
Extend comes from the Latin tendere, to stretch; expand comes from Latin pandere, to spread.

In both physical and metaphorical use, extend tends to be used for enlargement along a single axis or in a single direction (my boundary extends from A to B), where expand tends to mean spreading out in many directions (gas expands to fill a vacuum). The latter is the sense meant in this question.
.
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Re: Difference between to extend and to expand #3 (permalink) Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:17 am   Re: Difference between to extend and to expand

Well understood. Many thanks!
Huytquoc

meaning of "result in any way from a disease that does"?please correct the below sentenceTest incompl/elem-196, User's Answer 1Test incompl/elem-170, Question 8You have been the biggest disappointment this year.Don is the funniest guy I know!society tends to be much more mobilePitcher vs. catcherPitcher vs. shortstopIs "step by step" an idiom?Meaning of "drum out"Usage of "say" and "tell"Difference between plenty of and abundant