Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

one who activates; worker of a telephone switchboard; operation symbol
operator
exposure
divide
output
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Reflexive pronouns (itself vs. themselves)

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Usage of Past perfect verb form | Meaning of "off"?
listening exercisestell a friend
Reflexive pronouns (itself vs. themselves) #1 (permalink) Sun Sep 25, 2005 15:32 pm   Reflexive pronouns (itself vs. themselves)

Test No. incompl/elem-40 "Reflexive Pronouns", question 10

Unfortunately Icarus went too near the sun and the wax on his wings melted and the feathers worked ......... free and he fell on the ground and died.

(a) itself
(b) yourselves
(c) themselves

Test No. incompl/elem-40 "Reflexive Pronouns", answer 10

Unfortunately Icarus went too near the sun and the wax on his wings melted and the feathers worked themselves free and he fell on the ground and died.

Correct answer: (c) themselves

itself vs. themselves

jian
jian

Reflexive pronouns #2 (permalink) Sun Sep 25, 2005 18:19 pm   Reflexive pronouns

Th subject is plural - feathers and so you need to use themselves.
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Reflexive pronouns (itself vs. themselves) #3 (permalink) Fri Aug 15, 2008 13:54 pm   Reflexive pronouns (itself vs. themselves)

Hi Marko

In the context of the test sentence, 'work (itself) free' basically means 'become unattached'.

Reflexive pronouns (itself vs. themselves) #4 (permalink) Fri Aug 15, 2008 14:03 pm   Reflexive pronouns (itself vs. themselves)

Hi Torsten

I would like to suggest that if individual posts are moved, the responses to those posts should be moved with them.

Thanks.

Reflexive pronouns (itself vs. themselves) #5 (permalink) Fri Aug 15, 2008 14:04 pm   Reflexive pronouns (itself vs. themselves)

That's sound advice, Amy. Many thanks. Torsten

TOEIC listening, talks: Radio commercial for an invisible dog fencing system
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Reflexive pronouns (itself vs. themselves) #6 (permalink) Fri Aug 15, 2008 15:25 pm   Reflexive pronouns (itself vs. themselves)

Yankee wrote:
Hi Marko

In the context of the test sentence, 'work (itself) free' basically means 'become unattached'.

I would like if I could say now that I understand, but I don't. My vocabulary is a little "limited". Can you translate it in a simpler way?
Thank you.
Marko
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Reflexive pronouns (itself vs. themselves) #7 (permalink) Fri Aug 15, 2008 15:29 pm   Reflexive pronouns (itself vs. themselves)

Hi Marko, "the feathers worked themselves free" means the feathers fell off. Let me know if this makes sense.
Regards,
Torsten

TOEIC listening, talks: A business partner cancels an appointment by leaving a voice mail message
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Reflexive pronouns (itself vs. themselves) #8 (permalink) Fri Aug 15, 2008 15:47 pm   Reflexive pronouns (itself vs. themselves)

I understood what it means, but i don't understand the expression itself. I was just curious, never mind.
Thank you anyway. You too Amy.
Marko
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Reflexive pronouns (itself vs. themselves) #9 (permalink) Tue Apr 13, 2010 15:28 pm   Reflexive pronouns (itself vs. themselves)

Hello Mr. Torsten,Mr. Alan,and my friends
Oh my God,really its a very sad story, I feel that I want to cry.
Mona Ramzi
Mona Rmzi
I'm here quite often ;-)

Itself-Themselves #10 (permalink) Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:11 pm   Itself-Themselves

Whether that mean : itself we use in singular but themselves in plural?
Zerade
Zerade
You can meet me at english-test.net

Usage of Past perfect verb form | Meaning of "off"?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
catch up vs. make upSee a concert?The stove top burners are all in good working order...Might as well not?Supper is a main mealWhat are the kinds of size of a steak sandwich?Meaning of disappearSimple present vs. present perfect progressiveMeaning of arrestedTo + infinitive after "try"Can I use especially in the first sentence?English idiom: to pay a visitWhat is the difference between gain and win?