to advance; to encourage; to promote; to assist
subsidize
overwhelm
form
further

difference between come and go

Antonym of moutained | Use of 'been'
difference between come and go #1 (permalink) Sun Oct 04, 2009 15:13 pm   difference between come and go

I have questions on differences between come and go.

Basically, come means to move towards the speaker while go means to move away from go. The differences are seen in 'Come home' (the speaker wants the listener to move into where s/he stay) and 'Go home' (the speaker wants the listener to move away from him/her).

But how about these two examples? In this case, where should I focus on? I mean, for example, 1) A is also a speaker but in this case 'come' means to move towards 'B', not 'A' himself or herself. Then how I could I explain the difference between come and go here?

1)A: May I come to your place? B: Yes, you may come.
2)A: May I go to your place? B: Yes, you may go.

Anyway, I don't explain it with 'the speaker' concept, but... I think... in this case, 1) implies B is at his/her place and A, who is not at B's place, wants to visit/ move into there. 2) implies both A and B are away from B's place. That's my guess. Any other suggestions?

The bold sections are my real questions here. It's very difficult for me... please help me out!
Sweetpumpkin

Location: S.Korea

difference between come and go #2 (permalink) Sun Oct 04, 2009 18:07 pm   difference between come and go

SP, both of your assumptions are correct.
_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
difference between come and go #3 (permalink) Sun Oct 04, 2009 22:52 pm   difference between come and go

An explanation could be that "come" and "go" are often relative to the perspective of the first person, "I", but may also be relative to the second person, "you". When the entire sentence is somehow presented as viewed from the perspective of "you", and "you" are not at the same place as "I", coming and going may be used differently. I know this sounds a bit vague; I cannot really explain it in a clear and simple manner.

In addition, their are many idiomatic expressions and phrasal verbs, like "to go on" and "to come up", that have been severed from the here-there opposition normally found in come and go.
Example:
"While I was preparing dinner for Alexander, he was held up on the way to my house by the appearance of a beautiful girl at the bus stop. Eventually he forced himself to stop staring at her and went on to my house."
You couldn't substitute "came on" for "went on" here.
Cerberus™

Antonym of moutained | Use of 'been'
The old nurse got up TO PUT (up putting) the child upon the woman's knee.difference between 'scenery and landscape'Meaning of the sentence: Everybody takes me for granted.Proofreading: Being encouraged again after I read a lot of articles in press...It is important for you to vs It is important to"Hold off" vs "hold up"What's the meaning of "The original wire was for $2,000"?IsolationLetter OPast simple in a reportDiscuss the words'it' in infinitive constructionPretty (adverb)