Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to set aside; to allot; to adapt; to embrace; to accept
fade
size
remit
appropriate
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Difference between said and told

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Ball park figure? | inhabitants vs. residents
listening exercisestell a friend
Difference between said and told #1 (permalink) Wed Sep 28, 2005 16:52 pm   Difference between said and told

Test No. errors/inter-3 "Sally and her Letter", question 2

She said her boss that she would be unable to come to work the following day because her car had broken down.

(a) said
(b) would be
(c) to
(d) had

Test No. errors/inter-3 "Sally and her Letter", answer 2

She told her boss that she would be unable to come to work the following day because her car had broken down.

Correct entry: told
The error was: (a) said

What is the difference between said and told?
Fernando

Difference between said and told #2 (permalink) Wed Sep 28, 2005 17:28 pm   Difference between said and told

Hi Fernando

In this particular sentence you would have to use said as follows: She said to her boss that ..

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Difference between said and told #3 (permalink) Tue May 02, 2006 10:32 am   Difference between said and told

Alan wrote:
Hi Fernando

In this particular sentence you would have to use said as follows: She said to her boss that ..

Alan

Mr Alan

I answered "said to" here.Why the website told me I was wrong :?: :?: :?: :?:

Thanks a lot in advance

Christina's son
Christina328
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Difference between said and told #4 (permalink) Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:37 am   Difference between said and told

The same thing happens to me !!!
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Said #5 (permalink) Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:05 am   Said

HI,

Said to is not one of the choices.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Difference between said and told #6 (permalink) Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:32 pm   Difference between said and told

Hi Alan

I assume that lost_soul and Christina's son both mean that they selected "said" as the error and then typed in "said to" as the correction. But doing that results in the software telling you that 'your answer is incorrect'.

Am I correct in assuming that it's only possible to program in one correct answer per question in the tests?

Hi lost_soul

Although "said to" would be grammatically correct, it is definitely more natural / typical to use the word "told" in that sentence.

Amy

Said to vs. told #7 (permalink) Thu Sep 21, 2006 15:52 pm   Said to vs. told

Hi Amy,

We can add several correct answer options to each of the error sentences so said to will be correct in this question too.

TOEIC listening, photographs: A woman in the studio
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Difference between said and told #8 (permalink) Thu Sep 21, 2006 16:07 pm   Difference between said and told

Hi Torsten

That sounds great! :D

Amy

Difference between said and told #9 (permalink) Wed Sep 14, 2011 19:23 pm   Difference between said and told

how about this one which is correct "Someone once told this to me" or "Someone once said this to me" ?.. thank you. :)
Nini07

Difference between said and told #10 (permalink) Thu Sep 15, 2011 13:24 pm   Difference between said and told

Told is a transitive verb. It always needs an object. If you use told without object, you are making a mistake. E.g. He told me that I am a good man(correct)(me is the object). He told that I am a good man(wrong). But said can be used without an object. He said that I am a good man(correct). I said her that we have to go there.

In brief:

Told vs Said

Told and said are words having similar meanings with different usages

They are used in different contexts also

Told is a transitive verb that needs an object in the sentence

Said can be used with exclamation marks.

Mojo

Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude.
Mojo7301
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Difference between said and told #11 (permalink) Thu Sep 15, 2011 16:10 pm   Difference between said and told

Mojo7301 wrote:
Told is a transitive verb. It always needs an object. If you use told without object, you are making a mistake. E.g. He told me that I am a good man(correct)(me is the object). He told that I am a good man(wrong). But said can be used without an object. He said that I am a good man(correct). I said her that we have to go there.

In brief:

Told vs Said

Told and said are words having similar meanings with different usages

They are used in different contexts also

Told is a transitive verb that needs an object in the sentence

Said can be used with exclamation marks.

Mojo

Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude.

Thank you so much Mr. Mojo7301..! :)
Nini07

Ball park figure? | inhabitants vs. residents
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
stab or pierceit's fun to read.It's a pleasureYou don't look your age.Thanks in advance or thanks ahead or...?A penny for your thoughtsIs this a request or a question?Meaning of "to cry out for"Meaning of 'lose sleep'Difference between repute and reputationA crying shameWhat does to 'cry off' mean?Tailor vs. maker