Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

person who is free from sin or wrongdoing
note
outlet
innocent
symposium
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

meaning of "Like water off a duck's back"

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Nine (not eight) justices on the Supreme Court of the United States | What is a "white elephant"?
listening exercisestell a friend
meaning of "Like water off a duck's back" #1 (permalink) Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:43 am   meaning of "Like water off a duck's back"

Test No. express/advan-9 "Water Expressions", question 10

He'll be all right soon because any criticism is usually like water off a duck's back to him.

(a) of no importance
(b) of some importance
(c) of great importance
(d) of such importance

Test No. express/advan-9 "Water Expressions", answer 10

He'll be all right soon because any criticism is usually of no importance to him.

Correct answer: (a) of no importance

Dear teachers,
Please, meaning of "Like water off a duck's back".

Salman
Salman

Like water off a duck's back #2 (permalink) Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:34 am   Like water off a duck's back

Because of the glandular oil with which they preen their feathers, waterfowl have plumage which repels moisture-- this is why they can swim about for a lengthy spell before getting too wet to float.

Water rolls off a duck's back without effect.

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
meaning of "Like water off a duck's back" #3 (permalink) Fri Mar 16, 2007 14:28 pm   meaning of "Like water off a duck's back"

Once I saw in a book this expression: like water off a duck's back with the article "the", i.e. like water off the duck's back.

Is the later expression also grammatical?
If yes, would you explain the difference, please?

thanks
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

meaning of "Like water off a duck's back" #4 (permalink) Fri Mar 16, 2007 23:08 pm   meaning of "Like water off a duck's back"

'The' is grammatically fine but not idiomatic in your quote; it is referring to the duck of the idiom.

Nine (not eight) justices on the Supreme Court of the United States | What is a "white elephant"?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
favour vs. favorprecarious position vs. peculiar positionair condition vs. air conditioningmeaning of referredmeaning of undergoWhat does this mean: 'double income no kids'?When do we use 'during' and when 'for'?Do these actions co-occur?meaning of commandmeaning of modestmeaning of "division of labor"Why can't I use that instead of which?meaning of spay