Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

bars of gold; bars of silver
downsizing
bullion
shop
documentation
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Check vs. charge the battery?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Might vs. will | Meaning of "Think up a new idea"
listening exercisestell a friend
Check vs. charge the battery? #1 (permalink) Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:43 am   Check vs. charge the battery?

English Grammar Error, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #5 "Talk about it later", question 7

Before you try to start that car, there's one important thing you have to do and that is to load the battery.

(a) try to
(b) have to
(c) load
(d) battery

English Grammar Error, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #5 "Talk about it later", answer 7

Before you try to start that car, there's one important thing you have to do and that is to charge the battery.

Correct entry: charge
The error was: (c) load

You have found the error but your entry is incorrect.
Before you try to start that car, there's one important thing you have to do and that is to check the battery.

Why "charge" here? How about "check"?

P/s: Please just correct if I'm wrong somewhere!
Hieupt
I'm here quite often ;-)

Check vs. charge the battery? #2 (permalink) Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:21 am   Check vs. charge the battery?

I suppose that 'check' is possible, but it is not very likely. The speaker obviously knows that the car won't start, and s/he also knows why, so 'checking' is unnecessary.

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Check vs. charge the battery? #3 (permalink) Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:37 am   Check vs. charge the battery?

I assumed that the driver was reading the start-up procedure, so "check" sounds like an advice, rather than "charge" for troubleshooting scenario for the "can not start" case.

P/s: Please just correct if I'm wrong somewhere!
Hieupt
I'm here quite often ;-)

Check vs. charge the battery? #4 (permalink) Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:06 am   Check vs. charge the battery?

Try not to assume too much with one-sentence quizzes.

Might vs. will | Meaning of "Think up a new idea"
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
What does affable mean?Go into a contract vs. enter into a contract?Tsunamis are caused by...?What is a paint job?What is base tax?Keep in touch means maintain communicationsMeaning of 'persistence'What is an object lesson?What's the difference between 'belong with' and 'belong to'He is not tall enough to ride the roller coaster yet?Diffrence between lower and lesserPhrase: Do you trust me?what is soar?