constantly changing or varying in pattern or scenes
kaleidoscopic
autocratic
tranquil
ingenious

Reasons why people work other than earning a living

TOEFLŪ essay: describe the most significant challenges to academic success. | TOEFLŪ essay: Why do people attend college or university?
Reasons why people work other than earning a living #1 (permalink) Sat Oct 24, 2009 15:51 pm   Reasons why people work other than earning a living

Topic: People work because they need money to live. What are some other reasons that people work? Discuss one or more of these reasons. Use specific examples and details to support your answer.
------------
Our elders used to say, 'Gods owe no one a living, but owe everyone an opportunity to make a living.' As to most of us, jobs and work is the very opportunity from Gods. But as far as I am concerned, it's pathetic and miserable for a person to work for survival only. There are ought to be other reasons rather than earning a living.

One important reason easily ignored by us is to help others and make a better world. The successful people who we respect and admire nowadays are almost engaged in education and charities more or less. Some of them even give up their formal business to focus on working for welfare of all humans. Also, teachers, doctors, some government officials are working hard everyday trying to help others. All of them know that to help others is to make the world more comfortable for humans to live which also benefits themselves.

Another reason I want to mention here is interest. According to the scientific statistics, the more interested a person feels at his job, the happier he will be and also the longer he will keep doing the job. I have a brother-in-law who's a vice professor in college now. After his graduation, he have changed several jobs before decided to be a mentor. One of them was very attractive as a accountant in the government. He worked for two months, and finally found it not suitable, sometimes really boring for him. In contrast, there is always a smile hung on his face this days. He often tells me to choose a profession based on my interest.

I think one of the intrinsic demands of human being is self-fulfillment, except the basic survival instinct. We work hard to make a living, more importantly to achieve self-fulfillment. To help others and interest are just two separate expects of self-fulfillment.

TOEFL listening lectures: Which fact is true of Edward O. Wilson?
_________________
It will sure be a lot of fun here to make friends with you guys.
Naiverock

Location: Hangzhou, PRC

Essay:Reasons why people work other than earning a living #2 (permalink) Sat Oct 24, 2009 18:50 pm   Essay:Reasons why people work other than earning a living

------------
Our elders used to say, 'Gods owe no one a living, but owe everyone an opportunity to make a living.' In regard to most of us, jobs and work (are) the very opportunity from (the) Gods, but as far as I am concerned, it's pathetic and miserable for a person to work for survival only. There ought to be other reasons rather than (living to simply) earn a living.

One important reason, easily ignored by us, is to help others and (to) make a better world.
The successful people, who we respect and admire nowadays, are almost (all) engaged in education and charities, more or less.
Some of them even give up their formal business to focus on working for (the) welfare of all humans.
Also, teachers, doctors (and) some government officials, are working hard every day trying to help others.
All of them know that to help others is to make the world more comfortable for humans to live (in), which also benefits themselves.

Another reason I want to mention here is interest. According to the scientific statistics, the more interested a person feels at his job, the happier he will be, and also the longer he will keep doing the job.

I have a brother-in-law who's a vice professor in college now. After his graduation, he (had) changed several jobs before (deciding)to (become) a mentor.

One of (those jobs) was very attractive. (He worked )as (an) accountant in the government.
He worked for two months, and finally found it not suitable, sometimes really boring for him.
In contrast, there is always a smile hung on his face (these) days. He often tells me to choose a profession based on my interest.

I think one of the intrinsic demands of (we) human being(s) is self-fulfilment, (excluding) the basic survival instinct.
We work hard to make a living, more importantly to achieve self-fulfilment.
To help others and (to take) interest are just two separate (aspects) of self-fulfilment.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Better and better Naiv. Keep it up. You're getting there.

_________________

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemThis newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Essay:Reasons why people work other than earning a living #3 (permalink) Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:26 am   Essay:Reasons why people work other than earning a living

Thank you, Kitos,
Obviously, I shall be more careful when using appropriate forms of the verb 'be', prepositions, and V-O constructions.
Next time, I will pay more attention to avoid such errors in this essay.
_________________
Naiverock

Location: Hangzhou, PRC

TOEFLŪ Study Partner...Essay: Important characteristics of a co-workerSimilarity of buildings throughout the world...Some students like classes where teachers lecture (do all of the talking)Why do some students study abroad?Grades encourage student to learn.TOEFLŪ Essay: Sydney Opera HouseEssay: The last time the God was seenWhether the school teachers should be evaluated by students or not.TOEFLŪ essay: looking for better settlementWhether we should keep trying and never stop working towards achieving goalsWhether the universities should provide scholarships to talented students in...Topic: Some believe that the Earth is being harmed by human activity