Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to collapse; to decline; to decrease; to deteriorate; to settle
regress
exact
apply
slump
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Idiom: loud and clear

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Meaning of: 'Welcome back everybody in this session' | Near vs. nearly
listening exercisestell a friend
Idiom: loud and clear #1 (permalink) Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:16 am   Idiom: loud and clear

Test No. errors/elem-14 "Listen and Improve Your English", question 5

At this precise moment you are my listener and I hope you can hear me loudly and clear.

(a) are
(b) loudly
(c) clear

Test No. errors/elem-14 "Listen and Improve Your English", answer 5

At this precise moment you are my listener and I hope you can hear me loud and clear.

Correct entry: loud
The error was: (b) loudly

You have not found the error.
At this precise moment you are my listener and I hope you can hear me loudly and clearly.

I'd like to know why the answer is "loud and clear". These words are adj. I think the answer should be "loudly and clearly" in order to be adverb. I wonder if you explain more. Thanks.
May Thant Zin

Idiom: loud and clear #2 (permalink) Mon Oct 10, 2005 14:25 pm   Idiom: loud and clear

Loud and clear are both adverbial forms as well, as especially used in this idiomatic collocation loud and clear, which means unequivocally:

loud and clear

Easily audible and understandable. For example, They told us, loud and clear, what to do in an emergency, or You needn't repeat itI hear you loud and clear. This expression gained currency in the military during World War II to acknowledge radio messages ( I read you loud and clear) although it originated in the late 1800s.

(Courtesy of Dictionary.com)

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of: 'Welcome back everybody in this session' | Near vs. nearly
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Breaking glass vs. broken glassAppearing vs. apparentlyAirlines and departuresEconomical vs. economicFuture after whenCrybaby or cry baby?They settled in a small villageI don't understand vs. I do not understandNative vs. inhabitantPhrasal verb: use upOut of earshotLaunched a new campaignWhich way the cat is going to jump