foods and other goods sold at a small supermarket or store
groceries
imperative
counsel
provision

Setting targets and setting goals

Actually, if it's not too much trouble, would you proofreading my power-point sli | Could you give the synonym of "opportunity" here?
Setting targets and setting goals #1 (permalink) Tue Oct 11, 2005 21:36 pm   Setting targets and setting goals

Test No. errors/advan-7 "At the Meeting", question 4

The aiming that the company had set itself of doubling production within 5 years has certainly not been reached.

(a) aiming
(b) set itself
(c) within
(d) been reached

Test No. errors/advan-7 "At the Meeting", answer 4

The goal that the company had set itself of doubling production within 5 years has certainly not been reached.

Correct entry: goal
The error was: (a) aiming

You have found the error but your entry is incorrect.
The target that the company had set itself of doubling production within 5 years has certainly not been reached.
_________________________

Can I use "target" instead of "goal" here?

sinbadnj
sinbadnj

Setting targets and setting goals #2 (permalink) Wed Oct 12, 2005 19:27 pm   Setting targets and setting goals

Yes, target would work here as well and we'll add this word as another correct option.
Thanks for pointing it out.

TOEIC listening, question-response: Do we have any more printer paper?

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Set itself #3 (permalink) Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:53 am   Set itself

Should not this be "Set for itself" instead of set itself?

Thank you
dragan

Setting targets and setting goals #4 (permalink) Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:31 am   Setting targets and setting goals

.
The preposition is optional here, Dragan.

Set (for) itself
Buy (for) oneself

etc.
_________________

Setting targets and setting goals #5 (permalink) Wed Mar 26, 2008 18:09 pm   Setting targets and setting goals

hi guys
tell me please why the answer here is "goal" instead of "aiming" ? it is not supposed to mean the same ? goal = target = aiming ?
thanks in advance
Giancarloc

Setting targets and setting goals #6 (permalink) Wed Mar 26, 2008 19:45 pm   Setting targets and setting goals

'Aiming' isn't strictly speaking a noun but rather a participle from the verb 'aim'. The noun is also 'aim' and is a synonym for 'goal'.

_________________

Setting targets and setting goals #7 (permalink) Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:00 am   Setting targets and setting goals

Hi Alan,
I conclude from your answer that 'aim' is a valid answer as well, right!?

Thanks for your efforts by the way. Great website, handy tool to assess the personal level of expertise and on top of that, free of charge. Knowledge to the people!

Big up! Samesame :)
Samesame

Setting targets and setting goals #8 (permalink) Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:43 am   Setting targets and setting goals

Why not simply: 'aim'? /the purpose of doing something; what somebody is trying to achieve.
Our main aim is to increase sales in Europe.
Bob's one aim in life is to earn a lot of money.
Teamwork is required in order to achieve these aims.
She set out the company's aims and objectives in her speech.
Eugene2114

Setting targets and setting goals #9 (permalink) Tue Jul 05, 2011 19:14 pm   Setting targets and setting goals

Because if the test question used 'aim' then there would be no error in it!

@Aim' is correct but the problem with online marked tests is that there is no human intervention. Either you have exactly the same answer as the key or it is marked incorrect.
_________________

Setting targets and setting goals #10 (permalink) Tue Jul 05, 2011 19:24 pm   Setting targets and setting goals

Couldn't agree with you more, Beees. You're sometimes to guess what the authors of the test had in mind rather than give a plain and obvious answer.
Regards.
Eugene2114

the fries a largeto hold the conference call/to change a meeting time?to hook up with sb/in an airportTOEICŪ listening part III, set 4, exercise 10:I'll be out of town Tuesday and Wednesday...How's your new building coming along?alone // lonelyWord is that he asked the publisherI heard that the city [b]is going to start collecting yard waste soon[/b].But I will in about 10 years.I like for my house to be clean and orderly.use past tensePhrasal verbs: 'carry over' and 'carry out'