collection of written records; use of written records as evidence
documentation
announcement
privilege
overview

Appearing vs. apparently

Airlines and departures | Future after when
Appearing vs. apparently #1 (permalink) Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:19 am   Appearing vs. apparently

Test No. incompl/inter-95 "Letter of Complaint (2)", question 2

......... one of the components was faulty and he recommended that I got back to you so that a replacement could be fitted.

(a) Appearing
(b) Appearance
(c) Apparition
(d) Apparently

Test No. incompl/inter-95 "Letter of Complaint (2)", answer 2

Apparently one of the components was faulty and he recommended that I got back to you so that a replacement could be fitted.

Correct answer: (d) Apparently
_________________________

hello.why not appearing?
Peter Paul

Appearing vs. apparently #2 (permalink) Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:47 am   Appearing vs. apparently

.
Besides the fact that appearing would create an unnatural structure here with no logical meaning, the conjunction and requires a finite clause before it, but appearing would create a nonfinite clause instead.
.
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Idiom: out of my handsMeet you face to faceBreaking glass vs. broken glassEconomical vs. economicNeither rhyme nor reason - ShakespeareAt home vs. in the houseCrybaby or cry baby?Near vs. nearlyIdiom: loud and clearThey settled in a small villageMeaning of: 'Welcome back everybody in this session'I don't understand vs. I do not understandDifference between matters and subject