Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

collection of written records; use of written records as evidence
documentation
announcement
privilege
overview
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Appearing vs. apparently

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Airlines and departures | Future after when
listening exercisestell a friend
Appearing vs. apparently #1 (permalink) Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:19 am   Appearing vs. apparently

Test No. incompl/inter-95 "Letter of Complaint (2)", question 2

......... one of the components was faulty and he recommended that I got back to you so that a replacement could be fitted.

(a) Appearing
(b) Appearance
(c) Apparition
(d) Apparently

Test No. incompl/inter-95 "Letter of Complaint (2)", answer 2

Apparently one of the components was faulty and he recommended that I got back to you so that a replacement could be fitted.

Correct answer: (d) Apparently

hello.why not appearing?
Peter Paul

Appearing vs. apparently #2 (permalink) Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:47 am   Appearing vs. apparently

Besides the fact that appearing would create an unnatural structure here with no logical meaning, the conjunction and requires a finite clause before it, but appearing would create a nonfinite clause instead.

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Airlines and departures | Future after when
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Idiom: out of my handsMeet you face to faceBreaking glass vs. broken glassEconomical vs. economicNeither rhyme nor reason - ShakespeareAt home vs. in the houseCrybaby or cry baby?Near vs. nearlyIdiom: loud and clearThey settled in a small villageMeaning of: 'Welcome back everybody in this session'I don't understand vs. I do not understandDifference between matters and subject