spacious and convenient; roomy; ample; comfortable
circumspect
apt
commodious
convivial

Essay: The study of history has value only to the extent that it is relevant to

What type of reading do you enjoy most? Use specific reasons to support your resp | Human needs for farmland, housing, and industry are more important than saving...
Essay: The study of history has value only to the extent that it is relevant to #1 (permalink) Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:04 am   Essay: The study of history has value only to the extent that it is relevant to

Topic: The study of history has value only to the extent that it is relevant to our daily lives. Do you agree or not?
---------
In my opinion, history has its unique status along the rough road of pursuing knowledge and truth, as well as in the great hall of human civilization. The value of studying history is much beyond the part which is relevant to our daily lives only. The shallow statement in the title has greatly underestimated the miscellaneous and precious merits of history.

To begin with, history can provide people with the inspirations and orientations as regard to what kind of future we are going to achieve. By learning about the history of its own social development and others’, every country in this planet will have a clear position to survive and develop themselves among totally more than two hundred countries. For instance, China has been through primitive society, feudal society, semi-feudal and semi-colonial society, and industrial society all along the five thousand years. Thanks to the hard work of archeologists and other relevant experts, we Chinese people are well aware that we are now struggling for further development in the socialist society in order to realize our dream of stepping into communist society. As to an individual, history also services an indispensable function to determine one’s career, one’s future. That students are obligated to learn the history courses, has been a widely accepted educational phenomenon. Some will draw the inspirations out of the history stories and folklores, while some develop their specific interests in archeology, geography, astronomy or literature, and then probably they may decide to engage in one of these realms.

What’s more, we can learn a lot from the significant successes and terrible failures in the historical river. It is undeniable that the history has witnessed the achievement in food productivity, health insurance, information sharing and global trade. On the other hand, the history also has experienced the two world wars breaking out, the Berlin Walls standing up, holocaust happening in Nanjing China and race discrimination prevailing in the USA. Facing so many historical events, we must draw lessons from the past, and do our best in the present in order to make our future more beautiful and hopeful. As we can get known from the media, books and the Internet, there are a lot of suffering, disturbances and quarrels concerning safety, peace, customs, values and other perspectives still existing in this world. The history is one of the important sources where we can turn to ask for help and may find some efficient and irrational solutions for the extant problems.

To sum up, I absolutely don’t agree with the statement, since it may mislead people to neglect the importance of studying history while we are and will always be in need of the historical knowledge and experiences and many other aspects, some of which may still be unknown or obscure to us now. ‘The history has made who we are now’, as I quote here, ‘while we are making the history for our own.’ In short, the history is affecting almost every field, every single person, as well as the whole human society. Its value and importance is very much profound and significant, more than we can image.
----------
Another one hour
Amount of words: 545
Any suggestion will be appreciated.
Andy

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between a student and an HR interviewer
_________________
It will sure be a lot of fun here to make friends with you guys.
Naiverock

Location: Hangzhou, PRC

Essay: The study of history has value only to the extent that it is relevant #2 (permalink) Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:53 am   Essay: The study of history has value only to the extent that it is relevant

This really is an excellent essay. I would have worded one or two items a little differently, but eh, it is so good that it can stand alone on its own merits.

_________________

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemRead these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Essay: The study of history has value only to the extent that it is relevant #3 (permalink) Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:26 am   Essay: The study of history has value only to the extent that it is relevant

Hello, dear Bill,
How many essays will you read and revise every day?
I have some first hand experiences of revising others' articles.
I think it's a painstaking and time consuming work.
Thanks to you. And best for you.
I have some puzzles while writing this essay.
Could you tell me what's the difference between 'history' and 'historical' while they are used as adjectives?
--Andy
_________________
Naiverock

Location: Hangzhou, PRC

Essay: The study of history has value only to the extent that it is relevant #4 (permalink) Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:47 am   Essay: The study of history has value only to the extent that it is relevant

I really don't keep a record of the number of essays that I edit in a day.

Sometimes a lot, some-days only a few. I like doing this, but only as long as I do not lead someone astray with my corrections.

Andy, you do me the honour of overvaluing my grammatical abilities.
I am but a humble helper.

I wouldn't recognise an adjective if I tripped over one in the dark.

Better you post this query as a question on the grammar thread.

Damned good essay. :) :)

History is a noun. ( Used as an adjective, I really don't know.)
Historical is an adjective.

We have an history of our past.
We can have an historical re-enactment of a past event.

Bill.
_________________

Essay: The study of history has value only to the extent that it is relevant #5 (permalink) Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:33 am   Essay: The study of history has value only to the extent that it is relevant

Thank you for your reply, dear Bill.
You are right, history is a noun but not an adjective.
However, we use history stories sometime, while historical stories other time.
I am a little confused.
_________________
Naiverock

Location: Hangzhou, PRC

Essay: The study of history has value only to the extent that it is relevant to #6 (permalink) Wed Nov 18, 2009 16:29 pm   Essay: The study of history has value only to the extent that it is relevant to

It's soooo fabulous!!!!!
just one small fault i think.
some efficient and irrational solutions for the extant problems. don't you mean rational??

Moreover, how can you obtain that huge vocabulory???!!! i have to keep check my dictionary...
Thaz great!!!!
Anniehal

Location: Shanghai, china

It is better to start another project after completely finishing a projectTo complete one project before start another or work on several at the same time?It is better for children to grow up in the countryside than in a big city.TOEFL® essay: Good relations with people and friends in particular...Universities should give the same amount of money to their students' sports...Essay on Silvio BerlusconiEducation is the single most important factor in the development of a developingETLS topic: About traditional cultureWhat is the most important decision that you have ever made? Give specific detailDevelopment in transportation such us the invention of the automobile have had aEssay: Travel abroad or in your own country? (China is really an awesome place!)Some people believe that money spent on space research benefits all of humanity.Salary increases and promotions to new positions are not the only ways to reward