presentation; show; screen; monitor; exposure; exhibition
display
draft
book
quiet

Breaking glass vs. broken glass

Future after when | Difference between matters and subject
Breaking glass vs. broken glass #1 (permalink) Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:10 am   Breaking glass vs. broken glass

Test No. incompl/inter-22 "Cross Questions", question 4

Mike: That doesn't prove anything. Actually I heard the sound of glass ......... in the night.

(a) creaking
(b) crackling
(c) breaking
(d) broken

Test No. incompl/inter-22 "Cross Questions", answer 4

Mike: That doesn't prove anything. Actually I heard the sound of glass breaking in the night.

Correct answer: (c) breaking

Mike: That doesn't prove anything. Actually I heard the sound of glass broken in the night.
_________________________

Could you explain why breaking is suitable in htis sentence? I thought "broken" might be possible.
Thank you in advance for your reply.
Mitokomon

Breaking glass vs. broken glass #2 (permalink) Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:25 am   Breaking glass vs. broken glass

Hi Mitokomon,

Thanks for your interesting question. This sentence describes a process - the act of breaking glass. You can only hear what is going on, not the result. Breaking glass is a process, an action. Broken glass is the result of that action.

TOEIC listening, question-response: Won't you at least read the proposal?

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Is this is a fixed phrase? Well done!Idiom: out of my handsMeet you face to faceAppearing vs. apparentlyAirlines and departuresEconomical vs. economicNeither rhyme nor reason - ShakespeareAt home vs. in the houseCrybaby or cry baby?Near vs. nearlyIdiom: loud and clearMeaning of: 'Welcome back everybody in this session'Difference between think and mind