Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to incorporate; to take in; to absorb
omit
key
assimilate
appoint
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

English words have different meanings depending on which context they are used in

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
( English is fun : Restaurant = Translate server error! ) | Word of the day: Fillip
listening exercisestell a friend
English words have different meanings depending on which context they are used in #1 (permalink) Thu Nov 26, 2009 22:01 pm   English words have different meanings depending on which context they are used in

Many English words have different meanings depending on which context they are used in, therefore enabling a person with not so vast a vocabulary range to express themselves in many ways. That is an advantage. But just tell me one thing: What about all the effort you have to go through to memorise all these different meanings?

I believe that it is your perseverence and how hard you apply yourself when studying another language that makes that language seems easier or more difficult. It depends on how much time you spend listening , speaking, reading and writing in that language and how curious you are to find out things you are not sure of.

Of course, it does help if the language you are studying is similar to your own in some way. Every language has its peculiarities and also easy and difficult features.......!
Hugoenglish
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

about polysemy #2 (permalink) Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:27 am   about polysemy

hi,everyone.There is too many polysemy,for instance,the word 'good' has more than twenty meaning,hence I'm very confused,who could inform me how to comprehend it?
look forwrad to your reply!
Thanks a lot.
86456378@qq.com

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
English words have different meanings depending on which context they are used in #3 (permalink) Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:24 am   English words have different meanings depending on which context they are used in

Very simple: Instead of learning separate words you need to learn entire phrases, idioms, fixed expressions and sentences.

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between a professor and a departmental secretary
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

( English is fun : Restaurant = Translate server error! ) | Word of the day: Fillip
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
correlative conjunctions?adopt vs fosterCheck my sentences: Who killed him is unknown.use of achieved and please check my answer.pressUe vs pressurehelp me with this idiom or whateverSonnet 16Queen Elizabeth I and the English language/ this is not a jokeUsage of presuppositionis there someone out there could help me?Use of adjectives: My too-much-hysterical-happy, savage-furniture-destroyer dog?Difference among inder, himper, handicap, inhibite, obstruct, prevent, preclue?Lesson 5 "start and begin"