to examine accounts and other financial records
audit
attend
age
minute

Use phonetic symbols to form plural nouns and third person singular verbs.

ESL Forums | Listening, speaking, pronunciation and accent training
Arthur And His English Teacher | Accents
Use phonetic symbols to form plural nouns and third person singular verbs. #1 (permalink) Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:43 am   Use phonetic symbols to form plural nouns and third person singular verbs.

Could you please tell me how to use phonetic symbols to form plural nouns and third person singular verbs so as to pronounce the suffixes correctly? Thank you so much.

Singular nouns with phonetic symbols are easily available in the dictionaries but plural nouns and third person singular verbs are not shown. The following are some examples:

Singular Nouns Plural nouns Phonetic symbols
1. Language languages
2. box boxes
3. girl girls
4. grow grows

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.
Bhikkhu1991a

Use phonetic symbols to form plural nouns and third person singular verbs. #2 (permalink) Tue Dec 01, 2009 13:56 pm   Use phonetic symbols to form plural nouns and third person singular verbs.

Plurals:
1. "l&NgwIdZIz
2. "bQksIz
3. g3;lz
4. gr@Uz

Note that the pronunciation of -s is different if the stem of the verb ends with a voiceless occlusive:
Lots = lQts
There may be other variations.
Cerberus™

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Use phonetic symbols to form plural nouns and third person singular verbs. #3 (permalink) Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:10 am   Use phonetic symbols to form plural nouns and third person singular verbs.

Hello Cerberus™,

Thank you so much for your useful answers to some of the examples. However, do you know any sources or websites that provide the methods or answers like yours?

Your answers are in response to my examples only, but I need to know others as well, for instance, I want to know how to form the plural phonetic nouns. Thanks.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.
Bhikkhu1991a

Use phonetic symbols to form plural nouns and third person singular verbs. #4 (permalink) Wed Dec 02, 2009 17:31 pm   Use phonetic symbols to form plural nouns and third person singular verbs.

I don't really know of any comprehensive sites with phonetic symbols for inflected words, but you might be able to find something through Google.
The website Howjsay.com pronounces words in actual sound; it has a great many inflected forms included in its dictionary, such as "boxes":
http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=boxes
Cerberus™

Use phonetic symbols to form plural nouns and third person singular verbs. #5 (permalink) Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:02 am   Use phonetic symbols to form plural nouns and third person singular verbs.

Hello Cerberus™,

Yes, howjsay.com is a good website for listening to word pronunciation. But then, I have difficulty in detecting the pronunciation of the alphabet letters “s” or “es” in suffixes. Sometimes, it sounded like the phonetic symbol “s”, and sometimes it sounded like the phonetic symbol “z”. Unlike your answers, it’s certain that the phonetic symbol is “-z” or “iz”.

According to the Cambridge Advanced Dictionary online, Shttp://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=69278&dict=CALD, the phonetic symbols for “ –s” suffix (also “–es”) are “/-s/, /-z/”, so I don’t know which one I should choose, “/-s/” or “/-z/”. Perhaps, you know the difference.

By the way, I am wondering how you were able to provide me with the phonetic symbols to my examples: 1. "l&NgwIdZIz, 2. "bQksIz, 3. g3;lz, 4. gr@Uz. Which textbook are you using? Thank you so much.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.
Bhikkhu1991a

Use phonetic symbols to form plural nouns and third person singular verbs. #6 (permalink) Thu Dec 03, 2009 15:01 pm   Use phonetic symbols to form plural nouns and third person singular verbs.

Perhaps you could listen to some words in Howjsay to get to know the difference between -z and -s, although I admit it does not always differentiate them as clearly as it might. What is your native language: doesn't it have the difference between z and s? Try listening to these pairs in Howjsay and tell me what sound you hear: s or z. Check your own pronunciation: put your hand on your neck where your vocal cords are and feel it: when you pronounce z, you should feel a continuing vibration; with s, nothing.
grows
gross
looser
loser
peace
peas
ass
as (the s/z is pronounced more clearly in "as a matter of fact")
use (has two different pronunciations, for verb and noun)

For some rules about the pronunciation of the suffix s:
http://homepage.ntu.edu.tw/~karchung/intro%20page%2034.htm

I took those phonetic symbols from the Oxford English Dictionary and added the suffixes myself.
Cerberus™

ESL Forums | Listening, speaking, pronunciation and accent training All times are GMT + 1 Hour
i vs I in transcriptionAny experience in phonetic, phonology study, English plasives, etc?Second RecordSpeaking developmentHello from Russia.Loose or loseBig Fellow and his storyMy pleasure: I'm Marin from Bulgaria. I'd like to practise my English speaking...hello how do you pronounce these 3 wordsspeaking practicePre-Safe Break System BAS Plus (Mercedes S-Class)Record Voice MessageHow do you pronounce these 5 words