nourishment; nutrition; food and drink; regimen; weight loss plan
disposition
halt
diet
driver

Idiom: At face value

When does an epidemic becomes a pandemic? | Meaning of "Our neighbor is at large right now"
Idiom: At face value #1 (permalink) Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:59 pm   Idiom: At face value

ESL/EFL Test #697 "Prepositional Phrases - At, By, For and To (8)", question 6

You have to take him ......... face value. There is no hidden agenda and he is not trying to pull the wool over your eyes.

(a) at
(b) for
(c) by
(d) to

ESL/EFL Test #697 "Prepositional Phrases - At, By, For and To (8)", answer 6

You have to take him at face value. There is no hidden agenda and he is not trying to pull the wool over your eyes.

Correct answer: (a) at

You have to take him by face value. There is no hidden agenda and he is not trying to pull the wool over your eyes.
_________________________

Please explain an idiom at face value.
Mephistopheles

Idiom: At face value #2 (permalink) Sat Dec 05, 2009 14:47 pm   Idiom: At face value

At face value = as it appears, no more and no less.
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Why can't we say 'being vanished' in this sentence?needy vs. selflessWhat does 'in the buff' mean?He saw the writing on the wall?She was not going to go out on a limb for anyone anymore?What does 'forty winks' mean?Expression "put one's foot in one's mouth"Must a word celebrity necessarily mean movie star or can it mean music star...?Isn't that Biographer and Autobiographer writes about others' life stories?What does aid effort mean?Why the answer is 'fair weather friend' because I think it sounds like she...?befriended vs betrayedeasygoing vs user-friendly