Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to express a preconceived opinion; to express one's biases
acquaint
discuss
testify
prejudice
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

needy vs. selfless

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Meaning of thing-a-ma-jig-er | Meaning of 'courier'
listening exercisestell a friend
needy vs. selfless #1 (permalink) Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:01 am   needy vs. selfless

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #601 "Real Life: Personalities (3)", question 3

My new neighbor is very nice but she is very .......... She has nothing to do all day and she thinks that I should spend all of my free time with her. She just comes over, unannounced, and then expects me to drop everything in order to spend time with her.

(a) sensible
(b) independent
(c) selfless
(d) needy

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #601 "Real Life: Personalities (3)", answer 3

My new neighbor is very nice but she is very needy. She has nothing to do all day and she thinks that I should spend all of my free time with her. She just comes over, unannounced, and then expects me to drop everything in order to spend time with her.

Correct answer: (d) needy

how can selfless be right here? s
Marvo

needy vs. selfless #2 (permalink) Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:45 am   needy vs. selfless

It is not right here. I have amended the test to make that clear.

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
needy vs. selfless #3 (permalink) Mon Dec 07, 2009 15:47 pm   needy vs. selfless

Hi MM

Is needy OK here--I mean, wouldn't thoughtless/unthinking? be better choices? After all, the speaker is complaining about the neighbor.

Thanks for your time,

Tom
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

needy vs. selfless #4 (permalink) Mon Dec 07, 2009 23:03 pm   needy vs. selfless

It is questionable. I have changed the answer choices in the question; the changes will appear the next time Slava updates the database.

Meaning of thing-a-ma-jig-er | Meaning of 'courier'
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Does Morpheus has anything to do whit morphine - medical drug?Where is the back of the hand?What does check in mean in this sentence?Why do we use "with an eye for"?turquoise?What does black tie affair mean?How do you call that word before verb in continuous tenses?Why can't we say 'being vanished' in this sentence?What does 'in the buff' mean?He saw the writing on the wall?She was not going to go out on a limb for anyone anymore?What does 'forty winks' mean?Idiom: At face value