to plan; to scheme; to send; to dispatch; to throw
project
host
suspend
oversee

Why can't we say 'being vanished' in this sentence?

He saw the writing on the wall? | What does 'in the buff' mean?
Why can't we say 'being vanished' in this sentence? #1 (permalink) Mon Dec 07, 2009 13:44 pm   Why can't we say 'being vanished' in this sentence?

ESL/EFL Test #783 "Grammar Tutorial: Correct Word Usage (1)", question 6

The Amazon Forest is ......... right before our eyes. Lumber companies keep cutting down all of the trees. What can we do to stop them?

(a) vanishing
(b) being vanished
(c) will vanish
(d) vanishes

ESL/EFL Test #783 "Grammar Tutorial: Correct Word Usage (1)", answer 6

The Amazon Forest is vanishing right before our eyes. Lumber companies keep cutting down all of the trees. What can we do to stop them?

Correct answer: (a) vanishing

The Amazon Forest is being vanished right before our eyes. Lumber companies keep cutting down all of the trees. What can we do to stop them?
_________________________

Dinkar
Dinkar

Why can't we say 'being vanished' in this sentence? #2 (permalink) Mon Dec 07, 2009 13:49 pm   Why can't we say 'being vanished' in this sentence?

Why 'being vanished' is not correct?
Luby

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
What does check in mean in this sentence?Why do we use "with an eye for"?turquoise?What does black tie affair mean?How do you call that word before verb in continuous tenses?needy vs. selflessShe was not going to go out on a limb for anyone anymore?What does 'forty winks' mean?When does an epidemic becomes a pandemic?Idiom: At face valueMeaning of "Our neighbor is at large right now"Must a word celebrity necessarily mean movie star or can it mean music star...?befriended vs betrayed