make-up; constitution; essay
density
enrichment
composition
lock

How do you call that word before verb in continuous tenses?

Meaning of 'courier' | turquoise?
How do you call that word before verb in continuous tenses? #1 (permalink) Mon Dec 07, 2009 14:57 pm   How do you call that word before verb in continuous tenses?

ESL/EFL Test #783 "Grammar Tutorial: Correct Word Usage (1)", question 3

Our meeting ......... into supper time so please call your loved ones and let them know that you will all be home late tonight because the project is not complete.

(a) being extended
(b) be extending
(c) will extend
(d) extending

ESL/EFL Test #783 "Grammar Tutorial: Correct Word Usage (1)", answer 3

Our meeting will extend into supper time so please call your loved ones and let them know that you will all be home late tonight because the project is not complete.

Correct answer: (c) will extend

_________________________

I can't write extending because there is no is, and how do you call that word before verb in continuous tenses.
Mephistopheles

How do you call that word before verb in continuous tenses? #2 (permalink) Mon Dec 07, 2009 16:29 pm   How do you call that word before verb in continuous tenses?

Both words are verb. In both aspects (continuous is an aspect, not a tense) there are at least one content verb and one auxiliary.

In the simple aspect the auxiliary verb is do (do, does, did). In the continuous, the auxiliary verb is be (am/is/are, was/were, been).

The auxiliary verb carries agreement for person (1st, 2nd, third), number (singular, plural), and tense (present, past, future).
_________________
There's no such thing as an exception to the rule...

My blog: http://calleteach.wordpress.com
OxfordBlues

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
How do you call that word before verb in continuous tenses? #3 (permalink) Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:34 am   How do you call that word before verb in continuous tenses?

Thx for the explanation.
Mephistopheles

Meaning of 'courier' | turquoise?
annual mammagrams vs annual mammogramsDoes Morpheus has anything to do whit morphine - medical drug?Where is the back of the hand?What does check in mean in this sentence?Why do we use "with an eye for"?What does black tie affair mean?Why can't we say 'being vanished' in this sentence?needy vs. selflessWhat does 'in the buff' mean?He saw the writing on the wall?She was not going to go out on a limb for anyone anymore?What does 'forty winks' mean?Why used dressing up?